News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

LRT Safety

Randy B suggested to me at a doorway visit this week that Edmonton should get transit police, not peace officers/security.

Anyone have thoughts on that and the tradeoffs?
Well actual enforcement at the station and not having to wait for EPS to show would make a difference I'd have to imagine.

I think it be worth it personally.

1717520916797.png

Randy B suggested to me at a doorway visit this week that Edmonton should get transit police, not peace officers/security.

Anyone have thoughts on that and the tradeoffs?
Could be cost maybe? I'm sure that some of the current Transit Peace Officers could be transferred to that. EPS pushback for reasons, and I'm not sure if the MGA actually allows the city to run a transit police force under its jurisdiction separate from EPS.

On the plus side, it's probably more effective to have an in house force. And the transit safety perception could probably increase a decent margin just based on that.

I'm not gonna lie the ambient city sounds on the above ground Valley Line stations make it so much more comfortable than blatant silence.

The underground stations can be eerily silent if there's not a lot of people taking it, so if there's music? Probably a good step forward!

Plus more jazz is 10/10

Could be cost maybe? I'm sure that some of the current Transit Peace Officers could be transferred to that. EPS pushback for reasons, and I'm not sure if the MGA actually allows the city to run a transit police force under its jurisdiction separate from EPS.

On the plus side, it's probably more effective to have an in house force. And the transit safety perception could probably increase a decent margin just based on that.
I believe Calgary and Vancouver both have dedicated transit police? Is Calgary does, I think we should be able to.

I believe Calgary and Vancouver both have dedicated transit police? Is Calgary does, I think we should be able to.
Ooh damn I didn't know Calgary had that. In that case, we should emulate that then. The less powers and responsibilities EPS has on our transit network, replaced by transit police, the better.

Hmm. Interesting. Not how MP Randy talked about it. So is Calgary’s a better system than ours?
It sounds like Calgary's might be slightly better, with having some additional access Edmonton peace officers don't have.
A comparison: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=146048

Page 14 of this document goes into detail on some of the similarities and differences: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=41671

Oh the Urbanity posted a video about transit ridership in the 12 largest metro systems on the continent. Putting it into perspective, Edmonton being at 75% of pre-pandemic ridership is pretty on par with other transit systems in Canada (bar Calgary).

Oh the Urbanity posted a video about transit ridership in the 12 largest metro systems on the continent. Putting it into perspective, Edmonton being at 75% of pre-pandemic ridership is pretty on par with other transit systems in Canada (bar Calgary).
We definitely aren’t in a bad spot like some cities. But I still think comparing us to cities that had 5-10x the downtown office workforce is apples to oranges. Students still need transit, hospital workers too, low income people too. That’s our ridership base. But elsewhere those groups make up a smaller percentage historically. Almost all the dip is reflective of office work patterns.

Very interesting numbers, but incidents % of total rides is a useless metric, if I see 1 on my ride it's 100%

Wonder if they could provide incidents by location and time frames, as I suspect it's worse at certain times and locations

Overall, in the past month I've seen a very heavy presence of tpos, police, youth out reach etc. BUT they are always busy, doesn't seem to be any less activity...

Then again, that is what I've seen...

Back