News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

LRT Safety

^Yup.

My buddy lives in Malmo and wishes the LRT never came. They have had continually increasing petty theft incidents since it opened and in recent years more brazen/significant B&Es. Cameras show the classic 20-30yr old with hoodie/backpack and running off towards station directions often times.

FRdvSxWVkAASqg-

Each LRT station (both high and low floor) needs turnstiles (obvs not at low floor 'stops') and a pair of Guards/EPS and a bylaw ticket checker always present beside said turnstiles. That would help keep the non-paying riff raff out of the system.
I like the idea, but this seems overly expensive at current, or even projected future ridership.

I'm truly baffled at why the search for solutions is so 'difficult' as has been repeated often by the City. It is pretty simple:
1. the only people who should be allowed on transit property are paid transit users.
2. Strictly enforce code of conduct and unacceptable behaviours (drug use, feet up on chairs, taking up more than one seat, eating/drinking, any loud/aggressive behaviour, no weapons). Arrest or remove any person violating them. Voila.

Once again, the transit system is not a shelter, and is not equipped to solve social problems in society. It is a public utility - a method of transportation - and Edmontonians are crying out for it to be treated as such and to have its primary purpose prioritized by the City.

I'm truly baffled at why the search for solutions is so 'difficult' as has been repeated often by the City. It is pretty simple:
1. the only people who should be allowed on transit property are paid transit users.
2. Strictly enforce code of conduct and unacceptable behaviours (drug use, feet up on chairs, taking up more than one seat, eating/drinking, any loud/aggressive behaviour, no weapons). Arrest or remove any person violating them. Voila.

Once again, the transit system is not a shelter, and is not equipped to solve social problems in society. It is a public utility - a method of transportation - and Edmontonians are crying out for it to be treated as such and to have its primary purpose prioritized by the City.
Agreed. To stay in multilingual quotes, like @archited, Dura lex, sed lex. As much as I understand that there are extreme personal struggles and difficulties on some (probably most) of these people's lives, if it is putting the lives off everyone else's in danger, something needs to be done on the short term to at least minimize and at the very least some FEEL of safety to people.

Back