News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Expansion Planning

FFS. It's a residential neighborhood, not a warzone.

Exactly... but given who said that... just ignore it.

I've walked to and from Little Italy from Downtown many times over the years and while there are sections to avoid, the majority is actually quite pleasant and with a great diversity of character and form.

The network map has finally been updated to remove Central LRT -- bummer.

Strange that Gorman and Ellerslie are listed as 'potential' extensions whereas Metro NW and Capital S are not. No mention of infill stations either.

Before you get your knickers in a knot :D the map clearly shows that the Metro NW and Capital S extensions are absolutely gonna happen whereas the Gorman and Ellerslie extensions may or may not happen. That's a good thing otherwise I'd be calling for Sohi's head on a platter.

Before you get your knickers in a knot :D the map clearly shows that the Metro NW and Capital S extensions are absolutely gonna happen whereas the Gorman and Ellerslie extensions may or may not happen. That's a good thing otherwise I'd be calling for Sohi's head on a platter.

Well Central LRT was absolutely going to happen until it didn't, so I think anything that is not actually under construction is just a potential extension. I'm guessing there's been design work actually done for the former two, but I still find it misleading as it blends the constructed and unconstructed sections.

You are right though, I guess I should look on the bright side.

The province is dedicating $887 million for LRT projects in the city in 2024 budget announcement.

Does anyone know what specific projects these are? Is this all for the capital line extension to the south?

My guesses:
(1) Funding dedicated to completion of the Capital Line South and Valley Line West, or
(2) Possible funding dedicated to Phase II of the Metro Line NW (the line to Castle Downs, including the LRT bridge).

My guesses:
(1) Funding dedicated to completion of the Capital Line South and Valley Line West, or
(2) Possible funding dedicated to Phase II of the Metro Line NW (the line to Castle Downs, including the LRT bridge).
That sounds right, my money would be on VLW.

As far I know, this is new money. Provincial funding is already in place for the VLW (the line is under construction so that funding had to be in place by now!) and SLRT to Heritage Valley. Next in line I believe is NW LRT Phase II to Castle Downs, which the City is already working (and funding) property acquisition for. SLRT beyond Heritage Valley is only in preliminary design. My money is on NW LRT to Castle Downs.

As far I know, this is new money. Provincial funding is already in place for the VLW (the line is under construction so that funding had to be in place by now!) and SLRT to Heritage Valley. Next in line I believe is NW LRT Phase II to Castle Downs, which the City is already working (and funding) property acquisition for. SLRT beyond Heritage Valley is only in preliminary design. My money is on NW LRT to Castle Downs.
I'm still unsure if it's new money; the budget says capital grants to Edmonton and Calgary for lrt projects, water infrastructure, etc. are increasing by $350 million. Did the province transfer all funds for those other projects up front, or are they being dispursed in tranches that the province still needs to budget for?

My assumption was this was not new money but money used to be spent on phases occurring during that time period. Similar to announcement for money on Yellowhead freeway conversion for example.
Yeah I agree, it is likely construction phase funding for VLW and Capital Line South. If this was new funding there'd likely be an announcement of some kind and funding from other orders of government would likely have been known by this point in their budgets, especially on the City's end.

Would love to see our street car lines be resurrected!!
That would be a dream come true for me. In it's time it was perfect. I can just imagine how much better the transit of the city would be/how much better the city would have been buit today if they kep the lines and kept adding on to them.

IMG_6040.jpeg

Last edited:

Back