News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Expansion Planning

I've always wondered about the odd station spacing between Churchill and Stadium on the Capital Line, seems like a very long way between those two stations. I wonder about a stop here:
View attachment 536870
Maybe call it Boyle Street or something? I know we were talking earlier on another forum about a potential redevelopment of the industrial land around it. Potentially the LRT station could become a catalyst for development in the area.

Edit: I know about the ghost station at Law Courts, I think that's a bit too close to Churchill though, and might be much more difficult and expensive since it's a retrofit of an old station underground instead of just plopping a new one at grade. Maybe a relocation of the temporary NAIT platform?

My drugged up fever dream would be the City moves their cental yard operations to EPCOR's old yard on 92nd, and then they build a station right there + take @SarcasticMarmot 's idea of turning the original red brick building from the City yard into an indoor/outdoor market.

I've always wondered about the odd station spacing between Churchill and Stadium on the Capital Line, seems like a very long way between those two stations. I wonder about a stop here:
View attachment 536870
Maybe call it Boyle Street or something? I know we were talking earlier on another forum about a potential redevelopment of the industrial land around it. Potentially the LRT station could become a catalyst for development in the area.

Edit: I know about the ghost station at Law Courts, I think that's a bit too close to Churchill though, and might be much more difficult and expensive since it's a retrofit of an old station underground instead of just plopping a new one at grade. Maybe a relocation of the temporary NAIT platform?

Access to Italy. Access to Chinatown. Access to human services agencies. Access to the YMCA Village. Transit oriented development potential. And it's already moving at a snail's pace at this corner.

And I assume that this would be a rather cost-effective station addition. Yes - yes- yes.

Little Italy is a far better as a name than Boyle Street. It doesn’t carry the same negative connotations (might actually carry the connotations of a quaint, lively and exotic market) and it could be designed with cool themed architecture and artwork.

This! I've always thought about adding another station here as well and even wrote to Councillor Stevenson about it a year or two ago. Logistically, it would not be too difficult to relocate the temporary NAIT platform to that location, but the tracks would need to be realigned as it's a centre-loading design. I have no idea how much it would cost, but I imagine it wouldn't be as much as the $44 million Stadium Station rebuild as this station would be a much smaller and simpler scale.

What was response from Stevenson? Is this something she is advocating for? Is this something the city is seriously considering?

92 St LRT station - am I reading that right?
If so, that may explain why that EPCOR parking lot has been vacated.

1706884212876.png

Just call it Boyle-McCauley, as it hovers on the border between the two communities and that hyphenated name is already in use in the community.

Although I dig "Boyle-McCauley LRT Station", it's not really a good name at the moment due to the perceptions of homeless camps, druggies and gangstas trying to knife each other. Mind you these perceptions can change down the road. Meanwhile, Little Italy is a tourism destination that is just a couple of blocks away hence why I prefer it for the time

While I'd prefer a 95 St infill station, I can accept a 12 minute walk to Chinatown/Little Italy!
Not a walk many people would want to take through that neighbourhood.

I would just go with the neighbourhood name. It gives the best indication of location, rather than confuse it with something else.

Yes, Little Italy sounds nicer, but the ethnic composition of the area could easily change over time, so I feel the former would be the better choice.

Who knows, maybe a few years perceptions of that neighbourhood may improve. We can only hope.

Keep in mind there's the ghost station as well, which 95 St would be too close to.
I was assuming the ghost station wasn't going to be activated in this scenario. If it was however, then yes placing this station a block or two further east would make more sense.

Back