News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Legislature Grounds / Centennial Plaza

^
I suspect this has to do with another The Last of Us episode. If not, we should be calling them - saving them a lot of money on set design.

Never heard of the QEII Cafe before

20230511_180542.jpg

Construction

20230511_180709.jpg

Looks like the Leg Annex was demolished to make way for some generator

20230511_180856.jpg

20230511_180959.jpg
20230511_181046.jpg

20230511_181058.jpg

There original plans had a grab and go cafe at the top of the stairs on the left side that never opened, until now perhaps.

The SWC of the building has a restaurant space envisioned for it, but again, never saw the light of day:(

Never heard of the QEII Cafe before
They did a soft opening in the start of February, it's owned by Eurest. It's a satellite location of their food court in the law court building; so the food comes from there every day. If it goes well, then they'll put money into renovating the space to the specs needed to cook food in-house (I think they have an air fryer and a panini grill though). AFAIK, that name is temporary; they had an internal survey not too long ago seeing what names the staff liked, but I'm not sure what came of that since I'm out of there because of my practicum.

Looks like the Leg Annex was demolished to make way for some generator
That's the HVAC for the pedway system; the annex building housed it originally, so building a utility shed was easier than relocating the HVAC entirely.

The SWC of the building has a restaurant space envisioned for it, but again, never saw the light of day:(

The space where the QEII Cafe is now was supposed to be a timmies, but that fell through because of covid. But if you look closely, there's a narrow glass hallway behind the café/gift shop leading to a door on the north side of the fed building. That was a separate entrance put in for the timmies so that they could be open outside of the fed building's normal public hours. Eurest isn't going to bother with it unless they move on ahead with turning it into a full food-producing venue.

Speaking of the plaza and wasted structures, fun fact: They spent $800,000 on a zambonie garage, lockers, and washrooms so that the plaza could be used as a skating rink in the winter... then decided not to spend another $1 million to make it usable as an ice rink. Around a decade later, not even the washrooms are used. Not by the public, or even maintenance workers. I had to let a couple of the shoveling crew into the fed building one winter morning because they didn't have card access and had to use the wahroom; too bad this one isn't ever unlocked! I'd love to think there's some lucky janitor who has a key for it and uses it as their go-to business place that nobody else can desecrate.

Indeed and was very shortsighted as they eroded the potential of this building.

There was even a movement by the private sector to fund the Zamboni to get it over the goal line and bring thousands to the area each winter (on top of those who already go).

Alas.

Indeed and was very shortsighted as they eroded the potential of this building.

There was even a movement by the private sector to fund the Zamboni to get it over the goal line and bring thousands to the area each winter (on top of those who already go).

Alas.
Did that fundraiser also include the upgrades needed for the ice rink itself? The zamboni was around a tenth of the total cost if I remember right. For the record, I agree with you that it should have been done.

They did a soft opening in the start of February, it's owned by Eurest. It's a satellite location of their food court in the law court building; so the food comes from there every day. If it goes well, then they'll put money into renovating the space to the specs needed to cook food in-house (I think they have an air fryer and a panini grill though). AFAIK, that name is temporary; they had an internal survey not too long ago seeing what names the staff liked, but I'm not sure what came of that since I'm out of there because of my practicum.

That's the HVAC for the pedway system; the annex building housed it originally, so building a utility shed was easier than relocating the HVAC entirely.

The space where the QEII Cafe is now was supposed to be a timmies, but that fell through because of covid. But if you look closely, there's a narrow glass hallway behind the café/gift shop leading to a door on the north side of the fed building. That was a separate entrance put in for the timmies so that they could be open outside of the fed building's normal public hours. Eurest isn't going to bother with it unless they move on ahead with turning it into a full food-producing venue.

Speaking of the plaza and wasted structures, fun fact: They spent $800,000 on a zambonie garage, lockers, and washrooms so that the plaza could be used as a skating rink in the winter... then decided not to spend another $1 million to make it usable as an ice rink. Around a decade later, not even the washrooms are used. Not by the public, or even maintenance workers. I had to let a couple of the shoveling crew into the fed building one winter morning because they didn't have card access and had to use the wahroom; too bad this one isn't ever unlocked! I'd love to think there's some lucky janitor who has a key for it and uses it as their go-to business place that nobody else can desecrate.

I can confirm that they do have an air fryer!

Did that fundraiser also include the upgrades needed for the ice rink itself? The zamboni was around a tenth of the total cost if I remember right. For the record, I agree with you that it should have been done.
The idea was to raise a mil to cover all costs and final equipment needs.

Driving by the Leg this afternoon I noticed that the Canadian flag flying was a torn rag; perhaps a passive aggressive gesture to Ottawa by the current occupants. Tacky and embarrassing.

Back