Jasper Gates Redevelopment | 90m | 30s | RioCan | Stantec

What do you think of this proposal?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
@Freedm I know it seems like a leap from where we are, but we cannot continue to rely on people driving to support the local retail economy, for reasons too numerous to mention here.

I will add, though, that having lived in this area and shopped at this centre regularly, you might be underestimating how many people already walk to this centre, and overestimating how many drive given that the parking lot is basically never even close to full.

As a citizen who lives nowhere near here I do like this kind of development, and they may do just fine, but if I was a retailer here I'd be less inclined to say "let's try it and see how it goes". I'd be nervous until the concept can prove itself in this neighbourhood. Safeway in particular will need to reconsider their format if they're going to be mostly catering to the weekly two bag shopper, as opposed to the minivan shopper.

I would argue that the type of retail that is currently there will likely change with the new development and that RioCan has likely made that consideration given their profile.

I think the policy context in the design brief explains some of the current limitations of the current setup in detail that limits walkability (section 2.3) of the general neighbourhood. The LRT should alleviate some of that limit on SPR.

The brief reads as a shift in commercial developments too - promotion of cafes and restaurants that encourage pedestrian usage instead of vehicular usage. This is a cultural shift and will take time. This happens in increments, this proposal being an incremental step. It may mean that some shoppers lose access to their existing shopping destination. Some of that is intentional. I know there are many businesses that will thrive in this setting - the setting already exists in many other places in the world (including other places in Edmonton) and is quite successful. Glad we are starting to see more of this popping up in Edmonton. (I live in Bonnie Doon and am hopeful the mall speeds up their process that is similar to this model; the pedestrian experience is already okay, but will be much better in the future)

• A wide range of commercial uses, up to 15,000 sq. m (162,000 sq. ft), similar to the current commercial use of the site
  • Up to 1,000 residential units in a mix of high and medium-rise buildings, as well as row housing
  • Floor Area Ratio of 2.5 (increased from 2.0 currently)
  • Opportunities for mixed use buildings up to 30 metres (approximately 10 storeys) in height
  • Opportunities for residential towers up to 90 metres in height (approximately 30 storeys) on the north side of the site
  • establishing internal roads through the site

LDA19-0111_UrbanDesignBrief-63.png

LDA19-0111_UrbanDesignBrief-67.pngLDA19-0111_UrbanDesignBrief-63.pngLDA19-0111_SitePlansandStreetCrossSections-1 copy.pngLDA19-0111_SitePlansandStreetCrossSections-2 copy.pngLDA19-0111_SitePlansandStreetCrossSections-3 copy.pngLDA19-0111_SitePlansandStreetCrossSections-4 copy.pngLDA19-0111_SitePlansandStreetCrossSections-5 copy.png

Proposed rezoning for transit-oriented development in West Jasper Place
October 23, 2019

Edmontonians are invited to a drop-in engagement session to learn more about a proposed rezoning at 14915 Stony Plain Road.

Date: Tuesday, October 29
Time: 6 – 8 p.m. (drop-in, no formal presentation)
Location: West End Christian Reformed Church, 10015 149 Street NW

The proposed rezoning from Low Intensity Business Zone (CB1) to a Site Specific Development Control Provision (DC2) would allow for the construction of a transit-oriented development adjacent to a future LRT station. The development would include up to 1,000 residential units in a mix of high-rise and low-rise apartment buildings with commercial uses at street level.

The engagement session will be an opportunity to learn more about the proposal and share your views with the City and the applicant. Feedback will be summarized in a report to City Council for a decision at a future Public Hearing.

Last edited:

Back