Jasper Gates Redevelopment | 90m | 30s | RioCan | Stantec

What do you think of this proposal?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Irene Blain has not liked anything new proposed. She opposed the LRT, Jasper gates, West jasper tower. Pretty much everything that has been proposed.

The age of pawnshops and dollaramas is over on stony plain rd (If it even was a thing). West jasper neighborhood would like to keep the boarded up shops,pawnshops, adult stores instead of a new development that would increase property value? People demand change and when change is offered they reject it.

Last edited:
Just look how many top end shops are in jasper gates right now! These would be missed! (sarcastic)

Irene Blain has not liked anything new proposed. She opposed the LRT, Jasper gates, West jasper tower. Pretty much everything that has been proposed.

The age of pawnshops and dollaramas is over on stony plain rd (If it even was a thing). West jasper neighborhood would like to keep the boarded up shops,pawnshops, adult stores instead of a new development that would increase property value? People demand change and when change is offered they reject it.

That's something I've always wondered about. These types of people are so opposed to change, and always talk about their community and its "character," but have they ever actually walked around their community? This portion of Stoney has long been run down, and finally some company comes along to try and spruce it up — which historically we've seen causes a chain reaction of renovations, and tenant improvements — and yet they complain endlessly over it. I just can't wrap my brain around it. But maybe I'm just expanding too much effort, and NIMBYism is simply one of those unexplainable phenomena that'll never have a clear cut answer, like why yawning's contagious ?‍♂️

I've come to believe that one of the main causes of NIMBY-ism is ignorance and/or herd mentality. like seriously, someone tell me that woman who made that "too tall" comment has honestly, with an open mind and heart, looked that the development plan and also thought about the GOOD that could come from this being built? And when one person is like this, more people will unfortunately follow in line in order to "stick with it" and not have their own ideas and beliefs about something. It's quite disappointing, to say the least ?

C.1 Jasper Gates (Rezoning / Formal)
Anna Moir - Stantec

MOTION: A.Benoit
Motion of support with conditions

The Committee recommends that the Applicant further work with Administration
to advance and refine a master plan vision for the site, with consideration of the City
of Edmonton Transit Oriented Design Guidelines. In particular, the Committee
notes the following elements require additional development:

● Size, configuration and integration of the proposed transit plaza. In the
opinion of the Committee the plaza is not large enough for this scale of
development
● Phasing and integration of the proposed public space amenity, including
commitment of built amenity area per phase
● Amount of publicly accessible vs. private open space amenity relative to
build-out
● Pedestrian connectivity into and through the site (eg. from corners)
● Better definition of block areas A, B, C, D, including building massing (and
identifying maximum FAR and massing relative to site coverage)
● Street sections with streetwall and building setbacks / stepbacks more clearly
defined
● Provision of primary parkade entrance locations
● Building entrances more clearly defined- particularly along Stony Plain
Road and abutting the proposed transit plaza
● References for building materials (eg. high quality, durable) in the DC
regulation
● A requirement for subsequent phases of this project to be reviewed by the
EDC at the development permit stage(s)

The Committee had some difficulty reviewing this submission due to its lack of
detail. To this end, the Committee recommends that Administration develop
specific submission requirements for these types of large-site redevelopment
projects.

Furthermore, the Committee recommends that for these types of large-site
redevelopments projects, that the corresponding Development Permit(s) be
reviewed by the Edmonton Design Committee.

Seconded: J. Mills
CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION: W. Sims,, J. Mills, C. Holmes,, S. Kaznacheeva, D. Brown, A.
Benoit,
AGAINST: D. Deshpande, M. Figueira, T. Antoniuk

Back