News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Homelessness, Addiction and Mental Health

^
that was a pretty powerful - and personal - ending plea by councillor paquette.

…“just do the work”…

because once we do “give up the rhetoric” and “give up the games” we all know the work that has to be done.

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2024/0...open-as-emergency-shelter-spaces-in-edmonton/

The waitlist for a spot is already at 300 people. Cardinal says they simply don’t have enough space to open anymore. “If we had space, we would definitely have more shelter spaces open. Right now, we’re in the process of looking for space, Cardinal explains. “We do have extra funding available to us, we just don’t have the shelter space.”

Really curious how Pimatsiwin works out, it seems like the trailer home/pallet idea might be a nice change of style, pace and design from the usual typical shelters. Plus a waitlist for 300 people is insane, considering that represents 10% of the officially counted homeless population in the city (and almost half of the 650-750 people who are unsheltered over the last few months). If this proves to be a success, I genuinely don't think why this can't be expanded in other areas of the city.

^I like this out-of-the-box thinking. It is more dignified than sleeping on the streets, less disorder. There will still be a need for more shelter space. And supportive housing, but those units cost $400k each to build and takes time.

Last edited:
There is a great number of old work camps that could be reassembled in locations around the cities to help house people. Ideally this could be a first step and not a permanent solution. But they will need spaces for couples as well.

There is a great number of old work camps that could be reassembled in locations around the cities to help house people. Ideally this could be a first step and not a permanent solution. But they will need spaces for couples as well.
Those work trailers have alaso been moved to a City-owned property near Belvedere LRT station as a temoprary women's emergency shelter for the next several months.

Mayor Sohi to declare a housing/homelessness emergency

Glad he is taking this step and highlighting this critical situation and time. Time for feds and province to step up further, both of which
Sohi calls out.

I like this part:

"At the Prime Minister’s request, the Mayor’s Office submitted a business case that outlined immediate, shovel-ready Indigenous-led housing and wellness projects. This plan was submitted in December 2022 and we are still awaiting a decision on whether this pilot project will proceed with federal funding.

There have been countless hours of meetings and conversations about the crisis situation in Edmonton — we know what the issues and solutions are.

But the time for talk is over, we need coordinated action now."

I'm surprised he is doing this, as his administration is conveying that shelter spaces are often empty and we've gone from around 600 this time last year to 1700 now (right from City Manager's mouth this week). Minimum shelter standards, agree on this needs work. As well as a way to store people's stuff.

City has also surpassed it's housing targets 2019-2023 at 2800 units.

Admin says they've never been working better with the province than the last 6-12 months and everything they've asked Minister Nixon's office for they've gotten. I guess what the mayor is saying is it's not enough?

And Sohi not taking any leadership but putting blame on city employees including the police on how the encampments have been handled. It starts from the top.

I'm surprised he is doing this, as his administration is conveying that shelter spaces are often empty and we've gone from around 600 this time last year to 1700 now (right from City Manager's mouth this week). Minimum shelter standards, agree on this needs work. As well as a way to store people's stuff.

City has also surpassed it's housing targets 2019-2023 at 2800 units.

Admin says they've never been working better with the province than the last 6-12 months and everything they've asked Minister Nixon's office for they've gotten. I guess what the mayor is saying is it's not enough?
It frankly isn’t enough to truly address the issue at hand. However, it’s interesting to see the comments about Minister Nixon and probably highlights something I mentioned months ago, which is Sohi and the city have a much better working relationship with Smith than with Kenney.

I’d honestly like to see if Sohi starts pulling stunts, statements and strategies similar to Olivia Chow, especially with conciliatory relationships with the provinces and pushing the Feds hard.

Is this like a state of emergency when special powers are granted or what is the purpose of making the declaration? Just for show? Honest question, I have no idea.

By all accounts shelter space is available and was a prerequisite for being able to tear the camps down. What exactly is Sohi looking to achieve here?

Back