News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Gentleperson's Bets

Is it just me or is there double or triple the amount of highrise proposals in Edmonton than there are in Calgary right now? It seems that way just glancing at the respective forums at least. It seems we are on the brink of a turning point for downtown Edmonton.

@goodcitywhenfinished It feels more to me like Calgary currently has more highrises under construction than we have proposals...

Plus many more of Calgary's proposals are for 2, 3, or 4 towers per site.

Last edited:
@Thermalux Did you get the J123 bid, or still waiting to find out?

GC for Emerald will likely be Pagnotta. Tower B, not sure.
We just submitted a preliminary budget - expecting the official tender to be out in Spring. Fingers crossed. Also just wanted to thank everyone on the threads. As a fairly new business I've found a lot of the content on here very insightful!

@KyleBlanchett. they are dealing with a massive vacancy for the unforeseen future.

Conversions won’t solve Calgary’s office vacancy issue: Experts
1579621696699.png

Dec. 27, 2019

IMAGE: The Cube, an office-to-residential conversion in Calgary by Strategic Group. Despite much talk about office conversions, only five have actually been completed as the city's office market continues to struggle. (Courtesy Strategic Group)

The Cube, an office-to-residential conversion in Calgary by Strategic Group. Despite much talk about office conversions, only five have actually been completed as the city’s office market continues to struggle. (Courtesy Strategic Group)
With Calgary’s downtown office vacancy rate stuck in the 25 per cent range, many real estate experts have suggested converting empty space in the Central Business District into residential use as one solution for the market.

@goodcitywhenfinished It feels more to me like Calgary currently has more highrises under construction than we have proposals...

Plus many more of Calgary's proposals are for 2, 3, or 4 towers per site.
We have a lot of stuff in early-to-mid planning. I feel like not a ton is imminent. Shift, 108 Street, Cidex Strathcona, stack of Westrich towers, etc. We have some big proposals too, but my confidence is a lot lower - no idea what the horizon is for Bonnie Doon for example - you should poke Morguard with a stick.

Well, 2020 is here.

What projects do we see starting this year? By that I mean what sites do people see getting going that don't have holes in the ground.

Garneau Tower? 9995 Jasper Ave? J123? Jasper & 108th?

I'll try and keep better track of our Gentleman's bets this year, promise!
Jasper and 123 Street (Streamliner)
Parkview (Jasper and 108 St)
The Shift
The Clancy
Maclab 112 Street (Garneau)
Windsor Park (New owners ICM and Pagnotta)
Falcon 1??
BMO (I hope, but not sure)!!

Just reviving an old thread for the purpose of placing our bets on where CWB is going to end up (re: the RFP for the 275k of office space noted in the Downtown Real Estate thread).
I am going to go bold: they will take 50-75% of the office space in a new mixed use project on 103 and Jasper (between their current home and the old Enbridge tower) that will include 15-20 floors of residential. It will also involve a complete rehab of the Paramount theatre complete with a new side stage and lobby area at the base of the tower, on the site of the current single/two story commercial buildings immediately to the west of the Paramount.)

Just reviving an old thread for the purpose of placing our bets on where CWB is going to end up (re: the RFP for the 275k of office space noted in the Downtown Real Estate thread).
I am going to go bold: they will take 50-75% of the office space in a new mixed use project on 103 and Jasper (between their current home and the old Enbridge tower) that will include 15-20 floors of residential. It will also involve a complete rehab of the Paramount theatre complete with a new side stage and lobby area at the base of the tower, on the site of the current single/two story commercial buildings immediately to the west of the Paramount.)
I'd love to see that.

Back