News   Apr 03, 2020
 8.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Federal Politics

I continue to have a great deal of admiration and respect for Biden, despite all his recent likely age related difficulties. He yet again has put his country first and has done what is right.

I wish some other politicians who have been around too long would put their ego and delusions aside and do likewise.
Looks like they're saying the BBC might change its live coverage style.

1724989828900.png

I think most Canadians don't like an unelected senate, whose members get incredible tax payer funded financial benefits and pensions and who gain political power that impacts laws - these people are not elected and its anti-democratic. New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia each get 10 senators and the maritimes has a population of 1.9 million. BC, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan each get 6 senators and Western Canada has a population of 11.75 million. Its quite obviously a bad joke - its a house of corruption and patonage and does little to represent the views of most Canadians - as seen by Trudeau disrespecting the elected Senators from Alberta for his own chosen yes-men minions. Also, Kristopher Wells should not be a Senator and he does not come close to respresenting the views of the vast majority of Albertans - especially his twitter posts comparing Christians to Nazis. Premier Smith should be angry - and I am happy that she is voicing the displeasure of most Albertans to the disrespectful federal government. Smith is livid and I love it.

Unfortunately the Conservative party wants political parties to field candidates so they can Shanghai the process and gerrymander the proposed constituency boundaries.

I think most Canadians don't like an unelected senate, whose members get incredible tax payer funded financial benefits and pensions and who gain political power that impacts laws - these people are not elected and its anti-democratic. New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia each get 10 senators and the maritimes has a population of 1.9 million. BC, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan each get 6 senators and Western Canada has a population of 11.75 million. Its quite obviously a bad joke - its a house of corruption and patonage and does little to represent the views of most Canadians - as seen by Trudeau disrespecting the elected Senators from Alberta for his own chosen yes-men minions. Also, Kristopher Wells should not be a Senator and he does not come close to respresenting the views of the vast majority of Albertans - especially his twitter posts comparing Christians to Nazis. Premier Smith should be angry - and I am happy that she is voicing the displeasure of most Albertans to the disrespectful federal government. Smith is livid and I love it.
The senate is useless and outdated so who really cares who gets appointed as long as you can poke DS in the eye with a sharp stick. It is the convention for the ruling party to appoint individuals who align with their political views. So Trudeau appointments an individual who is an outspoken advocate for gay and transgender rights as DS is having a holy war against them. I love it.

I just elected myself Prime Minister. It's so direspectful that Trudeau won't recognize my authority.
Yes those elected senators who were elected by a very small percentage of people that bothered to fill out the ballot for a senator. Over 200,000 people neglected to select a senator on their ballots. It is just grand standing by the UCP to try and create more division. Until such time as the senate is reformed which is probably never it is just an irrelevant oddity of the Canadian government and fodder for the likes of DS.

On a list of a hundred important things, I think the Senate ranks about 150. Really most people do not care. It is there because it was set up that way a long time ago and it is hard to change, but if many people really cared it would be changed.

Given the limited change that could easily happen, the best thing was to move towards more independent less partisan Senators around a decade ago and some of the corrupt ones (two Conservatives come to mind) are now gone. However, I suspect if the Federal government changes, the old patronage appointment system will resume and they will less independent than people like Wells who are not party affiliated.

NDP announcing it will tear up governance agreement with Liberals​

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jagmeet-singh-ndp-ending-agreement-1.7312910

John Ivison: The NDP sold its soul. The Liberals might not give it back​

I suppose this is not too surprising, as the NDPs popularity has not been doing well being closely tied to the Liberals. But at this point I am not sure ending the agreement will help as someone will have to continue to prop them up.

I suppose contentious things can be put off for a while, but it will be very interesting to see what happens with the next Federal budget. Maybe we will have an early spring election if the NDP decides not to support it.

John Ivison: The NDP sold its soul. The Liberals might not give it back​

I suppose this is not too surprising, as the NDPs popularity has not been doing well being closely tied to the Liberals. But at this point I am not sure ending the agreement will help as someone will have to continue to prop them up.

I suppose contentious things can be put off for a while, but it will be very interesting to see what happens with the next Federal budget. Maybe we will have an early spring election if the NDP decides not to support it.
I think they can see the writing on the wall, one interesting but unorthodox barometer for public perception of election outcomes is reading the current gambling odds.

1725486654204.png

If they're expecting an overwhelming flip in the government majority, the NDP might do well to distance themselves from the image of being the "second Liberal party".

First things fall apart with the NDP and now this:

Liberal Party's national campaign director says he's stepping down​

I expect there will be a number of announcements of people stepping down or not running over the next few months. The window of opportunity for Trudeau to leave without doing further damage may be closing very soon.

Back