News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Federal Politics

I'd guess lip service. Majority of the Conservative voter base is older folks, who own their homes, and are banking on their increased value for equity into retirement. Housing affordability is a direct threat to that. Etc

New federal ridings have been proposed for Alberta, which can be found at https://redecoupage-redistribution-2022.ca/com/ab/prop/othaut/rep_e.aspx. They've done a fairly good job of balancing populations of the ridings. This go around, Alberta picks up three new ridings. In Edmonton, ridings that were previously shared with St. Albert and areas south of the city have retreated fully within city limits, giving Edmontonians more representation to account for population gains since 2011.

A few observations relevant to Edmonton, and how I think party standings could be influenced:
-Edmonton-Strathcona has added a bit of territory south of the Whitemud to account for population growth not keeping up with other areas. I feel like the previous riding's population was somewhat temporarily underpopulated, given that the Census these redistributions are based on was in May 2021, when some people had moved to suburban areas for more space, students weren't attending many in-person classes that year due to the pandemic, and there are just fewer of them around in any month of May than September to April. I think some people and students are now moving back to this area for convenience and shorter commutes. There are also quite a few towers and lower-rises being built in the area, as well as being an attractive place for infills. The areas it picks up are probably some of the less Conservative areas of other former ridings, which could make it more difficult for the new ridings to the south of Edmonton-Strathcona to be competitive, while Edmonton-Strathcona is likely to remain an NDP stronghold.
-South Edmonton: now split into 3 ridings in a more north-south orientation, spreading high growth areas among them. This should help prevent rapid electoral unfairness as was seen in the previous Edmonton-Wetaskiwin riding here, which became the most populous riding in the country by far by 2021. Previous Edmonton-Mill Woods' area west of 66 Street is ceded to the new Edmonton-Gateway riding, and it takes in newer growth area in the southeast. The territory ceded has recently been a bit more Conservative-voting than areas east of 66 Street, so this could possibly make this riding more competitive for a non-Conservative to win, but this could depend on the demographics of those moving into the newer areas south of the Henday.
-North Edmonton: Edmonton Centre loses Conservative voting territory south and west of the U of A to pick up the much more urban McCauley/Parkdale area. This makes this riding less Conservative, however it still could be so competitive between the NDP and Liberals that it would remain anyone's game. Edmonton Griesbach loses McCauley/Parkdale and picks up territory in the far north. This could make it tougher for the NDP to retain this seat.
-Surrounding municipalities: The character of most ridings surrounding Edmonton would change to be centred more on the immediate suburbs and less on rural areas. Conservatives will probably still win all of these seats, but the representatives may need to be more moderate Conservatives than is typical of rural areas.

I think this riding design is overall pretty good, but I would suggest that the new Edmonton-Griesbach could be shaped better to contain more of the mature neighbourhoods north of the river and Edmonton-Manning could focus more on newer suburban areas (e.g. put the Belvedere and Bannerman areas in Edmonton-Griesbach and give Edmonton-Manning Lago Lindo), as this would better group communities of interest.

If anyone feels strongly that mistakes are being made or that the ridings could be improved before these are finalized, you can attend public participation sessions on September 12 and 13 in Edmonton where the commission will hear public cases (but you have to notify them by August 15).
View attachment 413633
View attachment 413632
Took a look at these. I think they make sense for the most part as mentioned to even out population growth amongst the different ridings as much as possible. Would say Edmonton Griesbach is set up to see the least population growth of the Edmonton ridings just based on it being mostly developed to the north. There will be a little bit more there and some growth in Griesbach but I don't see it being as much as others.

Edmonton Strathcona and Centre will rely heavily on infill densification for growth although Centre has Blatchford and Strathcona has Michener Park (U of A land being redeveloped) as areas for growth .

Final federal election boundaries released. Most importantly, Edmonton-Griesbach will remain a primarily urban district, as opposed to the draft proposal.
Do you have a link by chance? I can only find the proposal map on the redistribution 2022 site.

Try this: https://redecoupage-redistribution-2022.ca/ebv/en/?locale=en-ca&prov=ab you can zoom in/out and there are 3 buttons on the top left: Current, proposal, report. The Report boundaries are the ridings going to Parliament.
Thanks that worked great. Interesting to see Riverdale join Griesbach. Makes sense as it was a bit of an oddity in the Scona riding as I believe only area north of river and they would have needed it to make up for population they cut to the north.

Drawing the maps is a very tough job and never going to be perfect/please everyone but I think these area reasonably fair. I do always worry about the areas on the outskirts growing quickly and representation being skewed as we saw recently in Edmonton-Wetaskiwin.

BREAKING: Justin Trudeau gleefully announces that early this morning Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland discovered the recently tabled 2023-24 budget had magically "balanced itself" for the next 5 years.

The Prime Minister stated "as we continue to have Canadians backs during these difficult times, our government has successfully prepared a deficit spending balanced budget that puts money back into the pockets of our most vulnerable by increasing taxes on almost every necessary item they purchase."

In a lesser announcement, the Prime Minister has also agreed to lower the ambient temperature in his office by half of degree from 24.5 to 24.0 Celsius in a altruistic display of personal sacrifice to combat climate change. The 120 page report prepared by McKinsey & Co states this courageous display of selflessness by the PM is the equivalent of removing 1 vehicle from the road over the duration of a year. The report, which will not be made public, is estimated to have cost taxpayers $1.2 million dollars. The Prime Minister is expected to jet from Ottawa to Tofino this afternoon to make the announcement, and will subsequently fly to St. Johns, Newfoundland this evening in time for his weekly throat singing and piano lesson from an internationally acclaimed Chinese artist. Despite direct evidence and warnings from CSIS that this artist is an insider of the CCP with close ties to President Xi, the Prime Minister was quick to dismiss these assertions as "highly partisan and racist".

Jagmeet Singh could not be reached for comment as he was at the dentist.

pierre-poilievre-straight-pride-1-6474173-1689022566201.jpg

Back