News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

ETS Bus and General Transit Improvements

IMG_6029.png
City Administration should have requested to reschedule the Airport-Downtown report until the March 19, 2024 Urban Planning Committee.

IMG_6046.jpeg
Committee would at least have had more & updated information about available resources, how ETS is using resources, ETS 2024 annual service plan, fleet renewal plans & so on.

At the same meeting during the discussion about co-mingling DATS & On Demand before Airport-Downtown, Mayor Sohi requested that ETS provide a memo outlining service improvements with recent investments.

ETS memos to council detailing service changes don’t mention route by route specifics.

This report ETS referenced to from Aug 29?

Identified gaps, expanded off-peak for 55, 56, 516, 903 as well as new service for Lewis Farms - Stillwater have been addressed starting from July 2023 service changes up to Feb 2024 service changes.

Last edited:
Doubling frequencies on the 747 service would also go a long way to solving that problem.
4-5 new growth buses specific to airport service within the capacity of the satellite garage could help.

Read somewhere that each new growth bus for would provide around 2500 annual service hours.

What wouldn’t ETS be able to do with up to 4-5 less regular service growth buses/12,500 less annual service hours for the regular bus network?

Last edited:
Even further down the line, there's the Urban Planning Committee in May when the BRT plan is supposed to be unveiled.

The B1 route (Century Park - Downtown - Castle Downs) has significant overlaps with the Airport-Downtown service, so the two have to be considered in tandem.

First of all, unfortunately its not a user friendly or focused system and it shows. I don't know if its the culture of ETS, whether they are oblivious to this or don't care, I'm not sure.

In any event, a lot of it is little things related to signage, placement of things and a number can be fixed relatively easily, if the will exists to do so. It could improve the user experience a lot.

I suspect the system is designed for regular users who sometimes painfully figure things out and are persistent, but if someone is new to using it or not a regular user this can be very off putting.

Making the user experience less painful is probably one the easiest ways to increase the number of users.

So we're going to let an Edmonton Journal article, about an experience during non peak hours, allow to set the narrative about the LRT as a whole? Greaaaaat. :) I'm sorry but while this isn't as bad as that "Letter to the Editor" stupidity from someone from Sherwood Park complaining about the Valley Line, I still have an issue with it.

Are there issues we need to address? Yes. Can we do a better job? Absolutely, I've voiced my concerns of little security presence at some of the stations multiple times here. But for once can we get an Opinion article from more frequent transit users? I've already seen enough idiocy on Twitter with people claiming nobody takes the train as a result of this, with wildly inaccurate ridership numbers being thrown around.

So we're going to let an Edmonton Journal article, about an experience during non peak hours, allow to set the narrative about the LRT as a whole? Greaaaaat. :) I'm sorry but while this isn't as bad as that "Letter to the Editor" stupidity from someone from Sherwood Park complaining about the Valley Line, I still have an issue with it.

Are there issues we need to address? Yes. Can we do a better job? Absolutely, I've voiced my concerns of little security presence at some of the stations multiple times here. But for once can we get an Opinion article from more frequent transit users? I've already seen enough idiocy on Twitter with people claiming nobody takes the train as a result of this, with wildly inaccurate ridership numbers being thrown around.
Based on Edmonton’s current situation, I think we should keep listening to this. We have lots to improve. And many people won’t become regular users, but if we can help make the train the preferred option for events, games, and trips downtown, that’d be great.

We don’t just need commuters. We need the casual riders too since our downtown workforce is small relatively. A system that’s not intuitive for new users won’t succeed.

It’s like then opening day of the valley line when I went to 102st stop and found 1 machine broken, 1 shelter broken, and one of our arc cards didn’t tap right. ON OPENING DAY.

It’s honestly a quality assurance, will power, and competency issue at this point. We don’t have the right leaders in place.

And Council called for a review of the proposed public spaces bylaw. Why are they so offended when this bylaw might affect vulnerable people?

And Council called for a review of the proposed public spaces bylaw. Why are they so offended when this bylaw might affect vulnerable people?
Why does this bylaw go off on weird tangents like potentially restricting people's ability to protest, rather than just address the stated concerns?

I took [915 Jasper Place] from WEM TC at 9:16pm tonight. Been a while since I took that trip.

We departed the TC with over 20 people on board. Another 5 or so got on throughout the route, I got off at 172St / 95 Ave, stop 5167.

Bus also has an automatic passenger counter.

IMG_6066.png

Lucky that ETS maintained 30 min Saturday (& Sunday) early evening service along 182St that the old 14 had with the redesign.

[907 Terra Losa] [907 Westmount] I usually take at 9:02pm on Saturday can be lonely, but short ride.

Because city manager is closet fascist sympathiser aka UCP plant.
Council gave the direction to find hundreds of millions in savings. It shouldn't be a surprise that means tough bargaining positions with the unions, cutting social spending, tough rules for public places (it costs a lot of money when people protest, litter, etc). Council has to look in the mirror. It's too easy to blame administration when council has ultimate say and direction.

Back