News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

ETS Bus and General Transit Improvements

I recognize that, but it's the wrong strategy. That is a premium market and one that should have an option to reflect such.

I think paying five dollars for a 747 bus ride to the airport is a sweet deal.
I agree, it is. But of course you have to get to Century Park first. So obviously, you can and would charge more for a direct route for visitors going from downtown.

I don't know what amount would work, but given the costs of other transportation $15 to $20 or maybe more is probably reasonable.

Transit Service Context • New service hours: 69,561 hr/yr in 2024. Used to addressing existing service gaps including additional off peak service and overloads. Details in upcoming Annual Service Plan. • Resources (buses and service hours) fully committed until satellite facility and additional buses / hours become available in 2025. • Recommended service adjustments, including equity considerations, will be presented on March 19, 2024.

I agree, it is. But of course you have to get to Century Park first. So obviously, you can and would charge more for a direct route for visitors going from downtown.

I don't know what amount would work, but given the costs of other transportation $15 to $20 or maybe more is probably reasonable.
It's the municipal airport. It should be close to the standard ETS fare.

Realistically, the fare needs to cover (or mostly cover) the cost of having this additional and fairly long route, otherwise it will not happen. In fact it has already been shot down by the city because of cost.

Many users would be visitors and higher income travelers, so I don't know we would want to subsidize them to the same extent as regular ETS users.

Tbh I rode the 747 to a flight once and it was pretty seamless. Took the LRT from the University to Century Park, got on the bus and was there with plenty of time. The connection to downtown directly would definitely be useful. I seriously don't understand how the cost could possibly be so enormous as to basically kill the idea immediately, especially considering how it would be a very useful connection for a lot of people. I mean, there have to be existing stops along the route that could easily be used. You don't have to build like 40 new bus stops or something like that. I get that there's labor and fuel costs, but those exist with literally every bus line? Why would this one be soooo expensive? Doesn't really seem to make sense to me.

Tbh I rode the 747 to a flight once and it was pretty seamless. Took the LRT from the University to Century Park, got on the bus and was there with plenty of time
If I'm travelling for leisure, with plenty of time to spare (and in the spring or summer) I'm fine using it, but the prospect of having to do this transfer when it's really cold/snowy/icy out, or if I'm on a tight schedule because I'm travelling for work doesn't really sound appealing. Until we manage to build the LRT to the airport, we should definitely be providing a direct connection to Downtown, at the very least.

Just anecdotal, but the last time I used the 747, though the bus itself was fine, there was an unexplained LRT delay on the way down there, we were stuck at South Campus station for around 15m. We left with a pretty decent margin of error, but almost missed the 747 bus because of that.
It all felt kind of flaky, and I would've much rather caught the airport bus downtown rather than way at the end of the LRT line.

You definitely need to leave more time or have options ready once you get to C.P.

I've had to take a cab once I got to C.P. because of a missed bus more than once due to LRT delays.

Back