7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

ETS Bus and General Transit Improvements

ETS returns to full service with winter service changes starting November 28​

November 23, 2021

On Sunday, November 28, ETS will return to full service and implement its annual winter service changes that reflect typical changes in ridership, including the holiday period in late December. These service changes further support a vibrant and safe city, along with the City’s commitment to delivering safe, convenient and reliable transportation that connects Edmontonians to the places they need and want to go.

Return to Full Service
As part of the regular winter service changes this year, ETS will resume full service on all routes. ETS is thankful for transit riders’ patience as bus schedules were temporarily adjusted in early November due to workforce availability and vaccine policy requirements. The health and safety of staff and riders are a top priority and ETS continues to take the steps necessary to keep riders safe and the services they rely on running as smoothly and safely as possible.

Notable Route Adjustments
Several routes and schedules are adjusted to meet typical ridership changes throughout the year, as well as feedback gathered from transit riders since the implementation of the bus network redesign in April. A portion of Route 519 is being adjusted to better serve residents in communities adjacent to Ellerslie Road and 66 Street. This change will provide better coverage and reduce walking distances for those accessing neighbourhoods along these roads. Route 111 is also being adjusted to provide improved access to the Kingsway Mall entrance from both directions.

Riders can expect a return to regular routings for several bus routes traveling on Jasper Avenue now that construction detours have ended. Route 701, which connects the Kingsway/Royal Alex and Southgate transit centres, also returns to its regular routing with work on the Duggan Bridge on Saskatchewan Drive completed.

Transit riders plan their trips using the third-party Transit app, Google Maps,edmonton.ca/transit or by calling 311.

Stony Plain Road Shuttle Service
Starting November 29, ETS will provide bus service on Stony Plain Road between Jasper Place Transit Centre and Unity Square at 116 Street and 104 Avenue. To start, a shuttle (a DATS vehicle with DATS markings removed) will run every 60 minutes, seven days a week and provide consistent, reliable temporary service for riders during Valley Line West construction. Due to limited seating on the shuttle, transit riders, who are able, are asked to use routes on 102 Avenue, 107 Avenue, 116 Street and 142 Street so that seniors and those with mobility needs can access the shuttle.

Transit riders are appreciated for their patience and understanding, and can share their thoughts about what is working and what can be improved atedmonton.ca/BusNetworkFeedback.​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/TransitAlerts

Media contact:
Peter Haight
Communications Coordinator
Communications and Engagement
780-819-8222​

For those who wish to stay attuned to bus trends...

Cash fare for Edmonton transit set to spike to $4 in February​

What a way for this new city council to show off their fauxgressive tendencies right off the bat like this. Highest fares in Canada for horrible subpar service. An absolute joke.

Edit: sorry it appears this was admin not council, should've read more closely.

Last edited:
Fare was $3 in 2012. So this will be a 33% increase over 10 years (just over 3%/year over this span). Not ridiculous from this metric, but it is higher than inflation over this period.

Fare was $3 in 2012. So this will be a 33% increase over 10 years (just over 3%/year over this span). Not ridiculous from this metric, but it is higher than inflation over this period.
Inflation is a geometric average, measured for the general consumer. If we are to look at this from such perspective, we need tu use the industrial and energy price indexes, as well as exchange rates. It doesn't make sense to adjust transit fares using the CPI, which has a bunch of stuff that does not affect transit operational costs (Housing, Health, Food...).
Also, doesn't make much sense to use the country's inflation for some of it, as a huge chunk of the cost and its increases are locally based.

What a way for this new city council to show off their fauxgressive tendencies right off the bat like this. Highest fares in Canada for horrible subpar service. An absolute joke.
I thought you'd appreciate the fiscal conservativeness of this measure. It raises revenue and reduces subsidization, all while screwing transit users. Everything that you could expect from cancervatives =D I'll be disappointed if the council follows through with this, but it is ironic that you would be as well.

I think you've misjudged me if you think I'm a fiscal conservative in regards to city infrastructure just because I also like the city having a well staffed police department. (I assume that's why you think I'm conservative overall?). The city should be investing much more into transit and additional user fees is not the way to go about raising the funds for it.

The level of service here is much worse than anywhere else I've lived or visited (though, sure, there are probably cities that are worse), the idea that the city thinks they can charge a fee that's tied for highest in Canada for the service they offer is just unbelievable.

Two major reports are being looked at by the Urban Planning Committee on February 15. One of them details the direction ETS should be going as Edmonton grows to 1.25 million people, and the other details the future expansion and use of its bus storage and maintenance facilities.

Very interesting to read the linked reports - recommendation for a big expansion of BRT. I am a little disappointed that LRT to airport is not yet in the plans.

Someone in the City has started thinking independently, applying expertise to where transit needs to be in Edmonton. It was a ballsy move to recomend further south LRT expansion over the council-prioritized NW expansion. Looks like someone in the City has actually started thinking about the future and is willing to go out on a limb, take some ownership of outcomes. I am happy to see this. Looks good on Andre Corbould. I guess we'll see if City council accepts the recommendation or starts playing political football with where the LRT is prioritized. I think there should be enough federal funding available right now to do a couple more major expansions ASAP.

I think about those days in the winter when you're driving into the city and you can see a brown dome of haze covering everything. With the shut down of the coal plants near Wabamun and a move to electric, hopefully that kind of pollution can become a thing of the past. Glad the City is firmly moving to electrify the bus network.

I think about those days in the winter when you're driving into the city and you can see a brown dome of haze covering everything. With the shut down of the coal plants near Wabamun and a move to electric, hopefully that kind of pollution can become a thing of the past. Glad the City is firmly moving to electrify the bus network.
I've heard electrification isn't actually good due to the battery costs and how inefficient batteries are to produce and all that. Anyone want to speak to why electrification is good? I love the lower fumes/quieter. But will the added weight, replacement costs, environmental costs to produce be worth it? are overhead wires better than the big batteries?

Two major reports are being looked at by the Urban Planning Committee on February 15. One of them details the direction ETS should be going as Edmonton grows to 1.25 million people, and the other details the future expansion and use of its bus storage and maintenance facilities.
Interesting to see the 87th ave bridge there still. Wonder if that's a 1.25-1.5mil focus? I'd imagine more density on the west side and around university will make that route more needed.

Also would love to see the airport connector be more than a standard bus. In absence of the amazing trains a lot of cities have, it'd be cool if they had a half dozen high quality buses with leather seats, overhead baggage storage, etc. Sort of like the connectors at airports like Pearson. First impressions matter and a long drive from the airport to downtown will be a lot more attractive on something that's not our current buses.

I've heard electrification isn't actually good due to the battery costs and how inefficient batteries are to produce and all that. Anyone want to speak to why electrification is good? I love the lower fumes/quieter. But will the added weight, replacement costs, environmental costs to produce be worth it? are overhead wires better than the big batteries?
Regarding environmental costs, research has found that electric vehicles emit less lifetime GHGs (including GHGs associated with mining, manufacturing, usage, and post-scrapping) than gas-powered vehicles in at least 95% of the world. This holds true even in jurisdictions where the grids are mainly powered by coal – a fuel source which Alberta is currently transitioning away from. The environmental performance of battery electric vehicles can be improved by things like greening power grids, improving the environmental sustainability of manufacturing batteries, and improving their recycling. However, even as it stands now, electric vehicles emit less than gas vehicles.

I know that environmental sustainability encompasses more than just emissions, but given the climate crisis we face, I don't think we can afford to hold off on long-term plans like fleet electrification until the electric vehicle manufacturing process improves more. Mind you, I do wish that we kept our trolley bus system; I never supported its discontinuation.

Also would love to see the airport connector be more than a standard bus. In absence of the amazing trains a lot of cities have, it'd be cool if they had a half dozen high quality buses with leather seats, overhead baggage storage, etc. Sort of like the connectors at airports like Pearson. First impressions matter and a long drive from the airport to downtown will be a lot more attractive on something that's not our current buses.
The current buses that serve route 747 have luggage racks and free wifi! But comfier seats would be lovely I'm sure. I agree that first impressions matter a lot here, and it shouldn't seem like a run-of-the-mill bus route.

Back