News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

ETS Bus and General Transit Improvements

@ChazYEG It says at the bottom of the article that PWT runs a similar service for Calgary and some of its suburbs.

1602623759206.png

New bus stop signs prepare riders for new network
October 13, 2020

Starting October 13, residents will start to see new bus stop signs around the city but current bus routes will remain the same. These signs are a key step in preparing for the new bus network launching on April 25, 2021. City crews are starting to install the new signs now because it will take several months to change over all 7,000 signs.

The early timing will also allow customers to get familiar with the new sign design and future new route numbering system. The user-friendly signs incorporate universal accessibility standards so they can be easily seen by a wide range of people. Customers should take note of the coloured temporary stickers on the signs that indicate if the stop will be opening, closing or routes will be changing in spring 2021.

These new bus stop signs indicate a significant and exciting transit change is coming that will give Edmontonians access to a more direct, more frequent and better connected bus service. “The new bus network is part of Edmonton Transit’s ongoing efforts to modernize public transit to meet today’s needs and provide a foundation that connects to future changes as the City grows to two million people,” said Eddie Robar, Branch Manager of Edmonton Transit Service.

Customers can also find information about the new bus stop signs and network bus routes at edmonton.ca/newbusroutes. Individual bus route maps and schedules will be available online in early 2021.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/newbusroutes

I know @Daveography -- it is the "fine-tuning" aspect that I am referring to. The system design that the City is working with is out-of-date by at least a decade. These guys have got to start thinking ahead of the curve instead of 10 years behind -- the cost otherwise is going to multiply as service declines.

As discussed here previously, but back in the news.

The city of Edmonton is launching Canada’s largest on-demand transit service with 57 accessible shuttles.

Starting April 25th, these shuttles will connect 37 neighbourhoods and 16 large seniors’ residences to a nearby transit hub.

New ways to access our city with transit begin today​

April 25, 2021

There are new ways for Edmontonians to access our city, starting today. Edmonton Transit Service’s (ETS) new bus routes and On Demand Transit went into service at 5 a.m. this morning, and the new Mill Woods Transit Centre opened its doors to customers.

“These projects support a strong and integrated transit network that is critical to building a great city where it’s safer, more convenient and greener to travel from one place to another,” said Mayor Don Iveson.

“We’re very excited to see a modernized transit system coming to a street near you,” said Carrie Hotton-MacDonald, ETS Branch Manager. “This is a major step towards providing the type of service Edmontonians told us they want today and to meeting evolving transit expectations as our city grows in the future.”

The latest evolution includes providing five new types of bus routes to meet customers’ different travel needs, complemented with the largest on demand service in Canada. Customers can conveniently book trips on 57 accessible shuttles to take them from 37 neighbourhoods and 16 seniors’ residences to nearby designated transit hubs. On Demand Transit service is provided in areas where it is a better fit than regular bus service. It has the advantage of providing service seven days a week and with the same or better frequency than scheduled service.

As part of its integrated approach to transit, the City opened the new Mill Woods Transit Centre today. The $17.4 million facility, which was completed on time and on budget, is designed to simplify how customers get to their bus and LRT connections so they have better access within Edmonton. The transit centre includes a covered walkway that connects customers to the nearby Mill Woods Stop on the Valley Line Southeast LRT, which is expected to open later this year.

An integrated transit network not only provides easy access to our city but supports lively neighbourhoods through transit oriented development. For example, Mill Woods Transit Centre was moved closer to the new LRT to support redevelopment plans for the Mill Woods Town Centre area. It will become a higher-density centre that includes mixed residential housing and commercial businesses within walking distance to transit.

Transit influences where Edmontonians live, work and play. With that in mind, we’re building the foundation for a strong transit system that will help create a vibrant city for people today and those we’ll welcome tomorrow.​
S.gif
S.gif

For more information about these transit changes and how customers can plan their new trips:
edmonton.ca/newbusroutes
edmonton.ca/ondemandtransit

Media contact:
Tarra Kongsrude
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-495-9903​

There are now six types of routes:

Frequent, which run every 15 minutes or better on weekdays

Rapid, express routes with limited stops

Crosstown, connecting suburban destinations without going through downtown

Local, connecting neighbourhoods with transit centres

Community, connecting seniors' residences and other community hubs

School, connecting students to nearby schools

Frequent routes are numbered 1-9, crosstown routes are numbered 50-56, and the
remaining types are numbered with three digits. The 100s in the north, the 900s are in the west, the 700s are in the southwest, and the 500s are in the east and southeast. School routes are numbered in the 600s. Rapid routes end in X, and routes ending in A or B are branches of a route.

I'd be curious to know what everyone's thoughts are on this change. It doesn't seem to impact my commute time. It would be a 12 minute drive to my office direct, and about 34 minute bus ride (including all walking time). This was the same as before, but now it's a bit more frequent along my route, though some of the buses now connect at the nearest transit station.

One bizarre part of this is that if I take the St. Albert Transit bus, which stops at one bus stop down from mine (a 2 minute walk extra), my overall commute time drops to 24 minutes since it's rapid. Was hoping for something similar from ETS when they mentioned more frequency with less stops.

The main thing that still needs to be tested is reliability - can the timings that are shown on those bus schedules actually be consistently met now? That's been one of the biggest problems of ETS in my experience.

I have heard a lot of complaints from people living in farther out suburban neighbourhoods so far, but I admittedly don't really understand that. It's just not efficient to service those neighbourhoods, and if you're living in those mazelike, unwalkable places, you will pretty much need to own a car. I might have a thing against those types of neighbourhoods lol, I find them very unappealing, but that's a rant for another time...

More safety and security measures coming to transit​

April 29, 2021

The City of Edmonton, Edmonton Police Service (EPS) and community partners are continuing to take an integrated, multi-layered approach to further enhance safety and security on transit with a goal to create safer outcomes and support across the system.

In February and March 2021, additional security guards were deployed at select transit facilities to provide extra surveillance and support, and liaise directly with the ETS Control Centre for further security, as needed. They proactively identify and report issues for follow up. Data from March 2021 indicates that over 80 per cent of incidents on transit are related to: loitering, not wearing a mask or face covering and trespassing, and less than one per cent of offences are against another person. In addition to providing on site surveillance, security guards help those who are distressed and play a key role in the City’s multi-layered safety framework.

Furthermore, in early March, the EPS Community Engagement team, along with Centre High students, began public engagement sessions at some transit facilities to help activate spaces and provide safety information. Sessions occurred weekly in March and April. The EPS Crime Disruption Teams also currently deploy proactive policing on the transit system.

Starting in early May, the City, in collaboration with EPS, will be introducing joint operational teams involving additional police officers and Transit Peace Officers who will conduct dedicated, proactive patrols on transit and will be deployed based on intelligence-led data. These teams are in addition to other Transit Peace Officers who regularly patrol the transit network.

“Safety will always be our top priority at the City, and we’re continuing to take action, along with our community partners, to help Edmontonians remain safe in our community and on transit,” said Andre Corbould, City Manager. “Since the pandemic began, we have been working day in and day out on enhancing safety measures in our public spaces, and we will continue to amplify efforts to keep Edmontonians and staff safe.”

Administration has also developed a Community Outreach Transit Team model that partners Transit Peace Officers with Outreach Workers to provide a pathway to securing appropriate housing as needed, social support services, mental health supports and connections to basic needs like food and clothing. The Community Outreach Transit Team, which will be deployed this summer, aims to provide better access to support for those who are marginalized.

“There is a large team of cross-functional staff working on these security challenges daily, and we are fully committed to providing a safe transit network and transit experience for Edmontonians and staff,” said Carrie Hotton-MacDonald, Branch Manager of Edmonton Transit Service (ETS). “Our highest priority is the safety of the community, transit riders and transit staff.”

There are many safety features on transit and different ways of being an active bystander to report a concern:​
  • Security guards are onsite at 21 transit centres and LRT stations.
  • Customers can text/call Transit Watch at 780.442.4900. Texting is a discreet way to report.
  • Emergency blue phones at all transit centres/LRT stations connect to the ETS Control Centre.
  • Red push buttons and yellow stripes on trains connect directly to the train operator.
  • Over 3,800 security cameras monitor transit service across the system.

The City remains highly committed to providing safe public spaces for Edmontonians and will continue to focus on public safety, recovering from the pandemic and providing tangible solutions to support those in our community who need additional support.​

Media contact:
Rowan Anderson
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-690-1605​

How has the rollout been so far for people?

I notice the Valley Line precursor route 510X is pretty horrible in Mill Woods at the moment. There's construction along 76 St, 38 Ave AND 66 St, which just fouls up traffic since roads are down to one lane. The old express route (71) took Mill Woods road, which isn't affected by construction and stops both at Millbourne Mall and Lakewood transit centre.

Heritage Valley is horribly underused as the only bus route is a shuttle service to Century Park. The Capital South extension can't come soon enough.

Back