2.6K     0 

Energy Square - Reclad/Update - 10109 – 106th Street NW / 10550 – Jasper Avenue

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 8.45.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 8.44.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 8.45.16 AM.png

I hope Energy Square will undergo exterior renovations so that the sunlight reflection will no longer blind people who are trying to pass by.

The focus on street interaction and activation is a big positive. Energy Square has long been a lame end to an otherwise pretty lively block.

Existing glass is to stay. but the street level changes should be less blinding. The building across the street would have to had a major mechanical change if they removed all that glass.

i wonder how they plan to clean the glass behind the screen?

i also wonder how they expect tenants to get to and from that tenant use only gym?

I am confused about all the spaces for cafes and the roastery. It appears there are 2 cafes, and then a separate kitchen which appears not to have doors and then the roastery spaces (2) are not located together. Maybe architect can comment on this rather strange layout. Finally I am surprised they changed the location of the primary door to Jasper - but I assume it is to capture more space for the restaurants? I guess facing the park (actually facing Boston Pizza) was less important.

There is only one Cafe with two seating areas and a sliding/stacking partition between them.

There is only one Cafe with two seating areas and a sliding/stacking partition between them.
So people arrive in the lobby which is between the 2 seating areas.and have to walk around the West seating to get to the elevators. Rather awkward arrangement imo. I can only assume they looked at a new entrance on the corner, pulling the doors into the building as this would have allowed easier access to the elevators and decided no. But I see they are adding a new vestibule which stands out compared to the existing one. They owner must have a restaurant lined up to go in here because little attention is being paid for building tenants for easy access, bike storage or the gym. I dont see underground parking - does not this building have any?

There was interest in a larger restaurant there, but it fell through sometime ago now.

Another cafe will be good and compliment the area.
"Another" so so cafe will fail. Right next door is Lock Stock Coffee / Red Star (now going to lose the patio access to the new cafe), Farrow Sandwiches and Bay Bao. What do you think would work there?

What is being done to the west elevation? Also, the lighting should be applied throughout the new portion imo.

Back