News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

EllisDon to Lead Prairie Link High-Speed Rail Partners - Edm-RD-Cal

To your point, my main concern is for YEG and the potential to actually attract new international routes, and for Edmonton's visibility as a whole.
Oh wait do you mean the airport itself? That's different, I thought you meant that it would "kill" Edmonton itself haha.

Oh wait do you mean the airport itself? That's different, I thought you meant that it would "kill" Edmonton itself haha.
It might have some ripple effects in the whole city, but can be worked around (and even benefit, to a point, if well played). But I'll bet that it will definitely strike the killing blow on YEG as an international destination.

HSR to Canmore and Banff from Calgary will only make Canmore more of a s**tshow rat race than it already is, ditto for Banff even. More reason to avoid both places going forward.

I'll take the quieter and less developed Jasper over both those places any day
The intent is to slowly remove a percentage of vehicular traffic from the area versus a wider pipeline... but I guess we will see.

The intent is to slowly remove a percentage of vehicular traffic from the area versus a wider pipeline... but I guess we will see.
Banff and Canmore are overcrowded during most of the year, especially holidays. Making it easier to get there without a car will likely make it worse.
I like living in a crowded, bustling downtown (which I hope Edmonton will have one day), but I hate traveling to relax and having to wait in line to enter a restaurant.

HSR from Edmonton - EIA - Red Deer - YYC - Calgary. Have it stop at both airports, not just one or the other.
I don't get why people are against such a simple notion.
Because it will kill YEG for good, simple as that.
It will become a regional airport, essentially.

Make it Edmonton - Red Deer - Calgary, skipping the airports, and I'm 100% happy.
Then we just connect YEG to the LRT, which makes more sense anyways..

Calgary would be stupid to not have YYC linked to an HSR route to Banff and Edmonton. And if YYC must have an HSR connection then EIA must have one too. If HSR is completed and fully operational (and that's still a big "if") then we let the competition decide when it comes to airports.

Last edited:

Make it Edmonton - Red Deer - Calgary, skipping the airports, and I'm 100% happy.
The travel time between YEG and downtown Edmonton will be well over an hour with LRT, vs ~20 minutes with direct HSR service.

Travellers to/from the airport will have luggage, which may cause overloading of the LRVs. HSR train cars will be equipped with luggage racks.

People living in south Edmonton will not want to travel into downtown to catch a SB train to Calgary. A station at YEG will add significant ridership and help justify the HSR service.

In my opinion, there is a huge benefit for the Edmonton-Calgary HSR link to stop at both YEG and YYC.

Banff and Canmore are overcrowded during most of the year, especially holidays. Making it easier to get there without a car will likely make it worse.
I like living in a crowded, bustling downtown (which I hope Edmonton will have one day), but I hate traveling to relax and having to wait in line to enter a restaurant.
I love and am supportive of this project because it'll make it easier to get there (and trains are cool).

I'm happy for Calgary for getting this connection, as it'll benefit everyone in the province. So will HSR. I don't think EIA is going to be hurt really more than it's helped by a super fast connection into Edmonton.

Honestly, I'm really uncertain as to what will happen to YEG as a result of HSR. There is a possibility it could kill our airport because airlines could just consolidate international flights to Calgary. On the other hand, the trend in the airline industry is towards direct point-to-point or point-to-hub routes. HSR will replace existing car traffic and short-haul flight traffic from Edmonton to YYC, but at the end of the day, it's still a connection adding extra trip time and many would still prefer direct international flights. Consider how the HSR station at YYC will be by the highway and it'll be arduous to carry luggage into the terminal and still have to go through check-in and all. I think the fate of our airport will not be in the hands of HSR, but rather in the hands of our airport executives and their ability to attract point-to-point international flights and to support our hometown airline, Flair.

There are very plausible benefits too. Tourism from Banff and Calgary will trickle into Edmonton because of HSR, which can often be an attraction in and of itself (consider how Osaka probably benefits from a well-appraised high-speed rail connection to highly-visited Tokyo). And of course, better business integration.

Edmonton should be working with all due expediency to strengthen the "inland port" concept connected to Prince Rupert. Air Freight would then become a thing out of EIA (although the number would be relatively small compared to passenger service). It would, however, strengthen the "hub" aspect of EIA and more firmly set Edmonton on the air routes map.

Based on what?

Taiwan opened its HSR line in 2006, with a stop at Taipei's Taoyuan International Airport. Despite this, the airports in other cities on the island like Kaohsiung and Taichung have only increased in passenger numbers and destinations.

Edmonton should be working with all due expediency to strengthen the "inland port" concept connected to Prince Rupert. Air Freight would then become a thing out of EIA (although the number would be relatively small compared to passenger service). It would, however, strengthen the "hub" aspect of EIA and more firmly set Edmonton on the air routes map.

https://renx.ca/prince-rupert-edmonton-could-solve-supply-chain-woes/

Good article on Renx.ca from dec 9th about this

I don't doubt it will remove some vehicular traffic, which is great, but once you get to Canmore of Banff and want to venture out and explore then what? Transit and shuttles will only take you so far.
Also, depending on why you're going to Banff and what gear you have with you, it may still be more practical for you to take a vehicle anyways. This will especially be a consideration for domestic tourists (such as myself) who bike, hike, ski ect... there frequently.

International tourism to both places will be much easier and more attractive, especially if this is directly connected to YYC. "Tokyo/Beijing to Banff via Calgary, take the train from the airport and get there in 45 mins!" will certainly be promoted to the max. With more people mingling about, both places will struggle to keep up with the increased demand (especially Banff), and thus prices will go up.

I'm good with Jasper

Last edited:

Back