News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton's Population

Not directly Edmonton's population, but Statistics Canada put out new population estimates this morning, with Alberta one of only two provinces to gain people from other provinces.

I was watching CBC's Power and Politics late afternoon yesterday and one of the regular guest panelists is Rick Bell of Calgary Sun. Actually, they have 5 Alberta-based panelists on throughout the week - Bell, Naheed Nenshi, Michael Solberg *a former Harper staffer, Zain Valji, and Jason Markusoff (reporter) - all of them from Calgary (they can't find at least one Edmonton person?).

With that, it was no surprise when they got onto the topic of housing affordability when Bell says people need to stop moving to Alberta for a few years. Forget the Alberta campaign ads, he said. We can't handle all the people. It's becoming too unaffordable. Of course he is only taking Calgary into consideration leaving viewers across the country to believe Alberta is now too expensive and there are no homes available.

I was watching CBC's Power and Politics late afternoon yesterday and one of the regular guest panelists is Rick Bell of Calgary Sun. Actually, they have 5 Alberta-based panelists on throughout the week - Bell, Naheed Nenshi, Michael Solberg *a former Harper staffer, Zain Valji, and Jason Markusoff (reporter) - all of them from Calgary (they can't find at least one Edmonton person?).

With that, it was no surprise when they got onto the topic of housing affordability when Bell says people need to stop moving to Alberta for a few years. Forget the Alberta campaign ads, he said. We can't handle all the people. It's becoming too unaffordable. Of course he is only taking Calgary into consideration leaving viewers across the country to believe Alberta is now too expensive and there are no homes available.
A good example of the state of needing to have a sensationalist and simplistic take rather than a nuanced thought.

Honestly, it seems like national media, especially the CBC, has a set group of people that they constantly have on, and they're almost always Calgary based. The only people from Edmonton I can think of that's had some exposure to media was Jared Wesley from the U of A, or Elaine Hyska for her views on harm reduction. Still annoyed however that we never get the proper treatment in national media.

Either way, they finally killed the Alberta is Calling campaign since Calgary is getting hit hard, and frankly the city was and still is unprepared for a boom that large. All the talk about real estate prices and rental rates going zoom up and the bonanza about that fails to take into account the fact that a significant chunk of Calgarians will be forced into core housing need status or on the streets. A price increase this fast, this high has genuine social consequences and I'm not sure a lot of people on this forum think about that as much.

We'll get spillover from out of province migrants, and frankly, in province migrants soon enough as well.

Honestly, it seems like national media, especially the CBC, has a set group of people that they constantly have on, and they're almost always Calgary based. The only people from Edmonton I can think of that's had some exposure to media was Jared Wesley from the U of A, or Elaine Hyska for her views on harm reduction. Still annoyed however that we never get the proper treatment in national media.

Either way, they finally killed the Alberta is Calling campaign since Calgary is getting hit hard, and frankly the city was and still is unprepared for a boom that large. All the talk about real estate prices and rental rates going zoom up and the bonanza about that fails to take into account the fact that a significant chunk of Calgarians will be forced into core housing need status or on the streets. A price increase this fast, this high has genuine social consequences and I'm not sure a lot of people on this forum think about that as much.

We'll get spillover from out of province migrants, and frankly, in province migrants soon enough as well.
The Eastern media generally prefers stereotypical commentators from Alberta, so if you fit that narrative and look like you might wear a cowboy hat, at least once a year, you're in. Congrats Rick Bell.

Unfortunately, many of the commentators from here are also too nuanced and articulate for the political shows especially those which thrive on conflict and controversy.

Yeah the Alberta is Calling campaign has been killed, because Calgary is becoming unaffordable and really can't handle the influx any more. In a way, we are fortunate here they have borne the brunt of it. Sometimes there is actually an advantage to being overlooked. Yes we'll still get the spill over, even from priced out people in Calgary as well, but hopefully it will not have as much impact on affordability.

1704771796818.png

Apparently some people do.

Bingo.

Calgary has a severe housing shortage issue paired with an attractive alternative to Toronto/Van and as a result a disproportionate amount of new arrivals and investment dollars.

Yesterday I was speaking with a developer who has had their busiest first week of the year in their history (who buys condos in the first week of Jan?). In 2023 they had 3x the number of transactions compared to a 10yr average.

Here's hoping some of that spills over to Edmonton, but Edmonton has more supply, less demand and fewer investors which positions it differently.

This is not pro-Calgary talk, simply the realty of what's happening.

I think we'll continue to see a large amount of immigration into Canada due to the Israel-Hamas war, the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, and instability in the Far East (North Korea, Taiwan).

The city has posted a new data tableau which details, neighbourhood-by-neighbourhood, the results of the 2021 census. It shows really interesting information, not just general population numbers and distribution, but also income, housing, immigration and language data.
Literally the holy grail for me right now, much appreciated

I think we'll continue to see a large amount of immigration into Canada due to the Israel-Hamas war, the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, and instability in the Far East (North Korea, Taiwan).
Yes and most people fleeing conflict zones are not wealthy expats, but just average citizens so affordability is quite important. One look at Toronto or Vancouver housing prices and rents, many will be going elsewhere.

The city has posted a new data tableau which details, neighbourhood-by-neighbourhood, the results of the 2021 census. It shows really interesting information, not just general population numbers and distribution, but also income, housing, immigration and language data.

Thank you for sharing this! I'm noting population counts that seem lower than I expect by neighbourhood. Are my perceptions off or is this an undercount?

Back