News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton's Population

Are you telling me that business decisions dont rely on the census information of “abstract” areas.

Is it really abstract if it is easily definable, and interconnected by near continuous communities, economic joint intreats, investment and one of the busiest transport corridors in canada.

it seems pretty definable to me, so
definable it has wiki pages not to mention government reports about it. I mean even the GoA acknowledges it as a thing, and we all know how hard that can be for them at times.
You can promote the corridor but it's not a substitute for a city. This will only lead to Calgary continuing to promote itself as a city and Edmonton being co-opted into promoting the corridor. Very simple we need Edmonton focused investment.

You can promote the corridor but it's not a substitute for a city. This will only lead to Calgary continuing to promote itself as a city and Edmonton being co-opted into promoting the corridor. Very simple we need Edmonton focused investment.
Exactly!
Calgary will keep the pressure to market itself as the "head" of the corridor and, if anything, the well will dry out even more for Edmonton

In my opinion Edmonton should market themselves in three key areas that they excel in, Education, Health, and Petrochemicals. Promotion of a region is good for the province but overshadows what we're best at and how we can attract talent.

Educate the world, Heal the world, and Feed the world.

In my opinion Edmonton should market themselves in four key areas that they excel in, Education, Health, Petrochemicals and Hydrogen. Promotion of a region is good for the province but overshadows what we're best at and how we can attract talent.

Educate the world, Heal the world, and Feed the world.

Fixed that for you

Since this is population related, I thought I would share this news story here.

"In both Edmonton and Calgary, there are now fewer vehicles than drivers, which is a relatively new development for both cities"

With the recent opening opening of the Valley Line LRT to Mill Woods , we now have LRT service to all least three parts of the city and when the west section opens it will be even more.

Younger people are not as eager to drive everywhere and of course more people can not afford to with increasing cost of vehicles and insurance, in particular.

When I take transit, I find the commute is less stressful, because I don't have to worry about traffic so much. Not having to pay for parking is a good saving too.

From the story:

"Kelly Granigan has taken things a step further: getting rid of her household vehicles altogether.

A decade ago, she and her husband lived in suburban Edmonton and owned a Dodge Ram Laramie pickup truck and a Toyota Matrix.

Today, they live in the inner city with their two kids and have since sold both vehicles, replacing them with electric bikes.

"After we had the kids, we decided to go car-free," she said.

She knows this isn't typical but says it's the right setup for them. Cost was a big factor in their decision, but she says she and her family also prefer riding their fleet of bicycles — including an electric cargo bike — to driving, year-round."

From the story:

"Kelly Granigan has taken things a step further: getting rid of her household vehicles altogether.

A decade ago, she and her husband lived in suburban Edmonton and owned a Dodge Ram Laramie pickup truck and a Toyota Matrix.

Today, they live in the inner city with their two kids and have since sold both vehicles, replacing them with electric bikes.

She knows this isn't typical but says it's the right setup for them. Cost was a big factor in their decision, but she says she and her family also prefer riding their fleet of bicycles — including an electric cargo bike — to driving, year-round."
The most realistic vs car free (as much as I love it), is:

1) significantly shift the number of 2 car households to 1 car. This is more possible than ever with WFH, improving transit, bike/ebike growth, car/ride shares, and shift based jobs.

2) delay first car ownership from 16-18 to 24-28 years old on average. Reducing high schoolers and university students needing cars is likely the next low hanging fruit. Most likely to already use transit, not have kids, live in apartments, primarily access more central amenities, etc.

3) to enable 1&2, densifying the core and TODs

4) expanding car share services (this is essential to many of my Vancouver friends being able to fully ditch a car. Having an option inbetween ownership and Uber).

5) more and more transit & biking infrastructure, plus incentives for each. Ebike credits for scrapping cars. 6 free monthly transit rides through ARC, etc.

6) 15min communities

7) mileage taxes, street parking paid permits, gas taxes, etc.

E-scooters and E-bikes have been a huge gamechanger for me personally and have allowed me to cut down on my car use substantially. I've probably used lime and bird every week in the summer and it's so nice to be able to get to 124th or Brewery district from downtown without needing to fight for parking or waste a ton of gas. For small trips it's quicker than transit too. Even used it in the winter and it works great, if a bit cold.

Legalize it and build infrastructure.

From the story:

Love this! I've been car-free for 10 years - I live central (Ritchie) and walk/take transit to complete all my daily tasks. And I wouldn't have it any other way - it has kept me in excellent shape as a 43-year-old!

Not directly Edmonton's population, but Statistics Canada put out new population estimates this morning, with Alberta one of only two provinces to gain people from other provinces.

Alberta attracts interprovincial migrants from all provinces and territories​

All provinces and territories recorded losses in their interprovincial migration exchanges in the third quarter of 2023 except for Alberta, which continued to have the highest net gains (+17,094), and New Brunswick (+21), with a very small gain.

Alberta has registered interprovincial migration gains of 10,000 or more for five consecutive quarters for the first time since comparable data were made available (1971). Most of Alberta's population gains through interprovincial migration were due to its exchanges with Ontario and British Columbia. In contrast, British Columbia experienced five consecutive quarters of interprovincial migration losses for the first time since the first quarter of 2013.

Back