Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Should do the same for Mill Woods vs the original 510X bus route running 76 St / Mill Woods Rd / 28 Ave via Lakewood Transit Centre. If speed wasn't the priority it would have been the better alignment.

Ets asked or will ask for the funding of the line to continue, at which point I am sure you will see changes.

They will use the massive service deficit numbers as leverage.

Another issue for visitors, is that the only major destinations for visitors that the LRT goes to, right now, are DT, Commonwealth and UofA. I definitely expect more visitors to start using it to go to WEM when that line is operational, since it is our main tourist draw.
Well said. Even for more local tourists from just out of town. When I’ve been in Calgary I’ve used the C Train for visiting the zoo and also the Stampede Grounds. WEM being an LRT stop will without a doubt bring a lot more tourists onto the LRT.

Well said. Even for more local tourists from just out of town. When I’ve been in Calgary I’ve used the C Train for visiting the zoo and also the Stampede Grounds. WEM being an LRT stop will without a doubt bring a lot more tourists onto the LRT.
We'd probably see a lot more of "stay in a hotel downtown, take the train to WEM" traffic. VLW is gonna be so cool when it opens up.

We'd probably see a lot more of "stay in a hotel downtown, take the train to WEM" traffic. VLW is gonna be so cool when it opens up.
Exactly.
I still think that the VLW will be THE most transformative and impactful piece of infrastructure built in Edmonton in decades (past and to come). Maybe the extension of the Capital Line to the Airport or a HSR line will beat it, but those are at least a decade and a half into the future.

PXL_20231125_193340813.MP.jpg
PXL_20231125_193357159.MP.jpg
PXL_20231125_193414796.MP.jpg
PXL_20231125_193709171.MP.jpg
PXL_20231125_194155549.MP.jpg

Is the road open now?
Small portions of the road appear to be open. There isn't clear signage or barricades preventing vehicles from entering the small section that is pictured.

I really like how curvy the street will be once opened. It's one of the few examples of a 40kmh street that is actually designed to encourage slower driving.

Glenora residents along this alignment should be really happy with how this is going to turn out.

Small portions of the road appear to be open. There isn't clear signage or barricades preventing vehicles from entering the small section that is pictured.

I really like how curvy the street will be once opened. It's one of the few examples of a 40kmh street that is actually designed to encourage slower driving.

Glenora residents along this alignment should be really happy with how this is going to turn out.
I grew up exactly where you took the last picture right on stony plain Road. I would think the people that live there now will enjoy the reduced traffic and the slower speeds. What a great addition to the neighborhood!

Excuse my quick mark up on my phone, Please note the full build out, this doesnt include the district plans that will work to increase density on both sides of 82 ave.

View attachment 522423

Currently my house is 700m from Strathern and 800m from Holyrood a 10 and 12 min (non Adhd) walk respectively. I make it in 8/10 respectively.
We've got no shortage of areas with TOD potential. And adding a significant amount of travel time to Strathearn makes every TOD site south of it that much less viable.

Last edited:

I was wondering if I was seeing that right….thats the ACTUAL road? The curvy thing? Not a bike path?

I was wondering if I was seeing that right….thats the ACTUAL road? The curvy thing? Not a bike path?
Yeah it’s the road. It’s kinda weird, I think that will confuse a lot of drivers, especially in the darkness of winter. Hopefully it’s lit up really well.

There is now a Drilling Rig on the Corner of Meadowlark Rd and 87ave
More work is happening on some of the Substations
Work has all but stopped on SPR in Canora
Grovenor/WestBlock Stop is Begining Work
87 Ave is now Completely U/C
156 is now U/C
SPR east of Groat Road is Starting Early Works
SPR near 156 is back at 4 lanes

Yeah it’s the road. It’s kinda weird, I think that will confuse a lot of drivers, especially in the darkness of winter. Hopefully it’s lit up really well.
It should make much more inherent sense once the track bed is in and it's better hardscaped

Back