Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

We've got no shortage of areas with TOD potential. And adding a significant amount of travel time to Strathearn makes every TOD site south of it that much less viable.
Please define significant time?

you still have to turn left, there would still be a station mid way through the community.

so what and extra 2 min?

Please define significant, because what you are trying to pass off as “significant” isnt.

Took another train ride this Sunday afternoon, there were like two people who could be considered *sketchy* (one person was pretty alright, but one was suffering from an episode of some sorts and talking out loud and somewhat lying down on the seat) that were in my car, but the ride was still quite good. Numbers on a weekend were sizeable despite no events downtown, with families and kids and everyone in between. Obviously not as crowded as opening weekend or the week after, but as the area around the line densifies and 73 gets cut in the new year?

Pretty good.

No sign of security/EPS or Peace Officers though. That wasn't the case the last few weekends (I saw some patrolling DT two weekends ago essentially enforcing no loitering) so I'm not sure what gives.

Took another train ride this Sunday afternoon, there were like two people who could be considered *sketchy* (one person was pretty alright, but one was suffering from an episode of some sorts and talking out loud and somewhat lying down on the seat) that were in my car, but the ride was still quite good. Numbers on a weekend were sizeable despite no events downtown, with families and kids and everyone in between. Obviously not as crowded as opening weekend or the week after, but as the area around the line densifies and 73 gets cut in the new year?

Pretty good.

No sign of security/EPS or Peace Officers though. That wasn't the case the last few weekends (I saw some patrolling DT two weekends ago essentially enforcing no loitering) so I'm not sure what gives.
After initial hype is done this line will be like others capital and metro you will see a lot more addicts and homeless probably more not much security.
Heard right now city is more focusing security on the bus side

After initial hype is done this line will be like others capital and metro you will see a lot more addicts and homeless probably more not much security.
I'd argue the perception of safety on the Valley Line will always be above the Capital/Metro. There might be homelessness/addiction issues here and there but considering I've taken the line late at night, it's been miles above the Capital/Metro lines. Loitering in the stations/Churchill Connector is much rarer now than the first few weeks in my experience.

Granted, I've almost entirely been on the line during off-peak hours and weekends. I'm curious what other people's experiences have been during peak hours during weekdays. Plenty of people are still bringing kids and families on this train so Churchill and the Valley Line just feels less sketchy than expected.

I see a lot of families. people of all ages. I used it today to commute. we own a car.

I've seen A LOT on my short evening hops on the Valley Line (only need to go one stop) around 22:00. Other times of the day too for that matter. Those small shelters on the platforms are apparently quite tempting to take up residence in.
I did see bike cops riding the line once (easy way back to HQ?) And Transit security once.

I've seen A LOT on my short evening hops on the Valley Line (only need to go one stop) around 22:00. Other times of the day too for that matter. Those small shelters on the platforms are apparently quite tempting to take up residence in.
I did see bike cops riding the line once (easy way back to HQ?) And Transit security once.
If you call 311 they will pass the item of concern to Transed, who is likely responsible for much of the security.
further more it will help the city track standards.

Please define significant time?

you still have to turn left, there would still be a station mid way through the community.

so what and extra 2 min?

Please define significant, because what you are trying to pass off as “significant” isnt.

Google maps says it takes 4 mins to drive from Muttart Stop to the Bonnie Doon Stop. On the train, with our chosen alignment, it's 9-10 minutes.

Even with a stop between BD and the Muttart, going down Connor's Road would be at least 4 minutes faster.
Screenshot_20231127-000802.png

I'm disappointed to see what looks like trees being planted in the middle of a sidewalk. Have we not learned that this is not ideal for the users of said sidewalk?
What, you don't like having to walk single file with your friends down the sidewalk?

Google maps says it takes 4 mins to drive from Muttart Stop to the Bonnie Doon Stop. On the train, with our chosen alignment, it's 9-10 minutes.

Even with a stop between BD and the Muttart, going down Connor's Road would be at least 4 minutes faster.
yep. you are correct on the timing for the LRT.

However Car travel from Bonnie Doon down to Muttart, especially in rush hour, is not what you make it to be. This is at 430pm
IMG_5722.png

You simply cant cherry pick where your car is located/parked as it certainly wont be parked in a place it is illegal to do so.

Attachments

• IMG_5721.png
    IMG_5721.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5720.png
    IMG_5720.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5719.png
    IMG_5719.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 21

However Car travel from Bonnie Doon down to Muttart, especially in rush hour, is not what you make it to be. This is at 430
IMG_5722.png

You simply cant cherry pick where your car is located/parked as it certainly wont be parked in a place it is illegal to do so.

Furthermore. if you use transit as your major form of travel. You don't really
care about how fast a car can do it. Equate it to walking/cycling time or at least a bus. Now factor in a future 5 min train frequency compared to a 15 min bus frequency…

Also… Imagine the city has hit 1.5 million people. how long is this 7-8 min car ride now?

However Car travel from Bonnie Doon down to Muttart, especially in rush hour, is not what you make it to be. This is at 430 View attachment 523278

Furthermore. if you use transit as your major form of travel. You don't really
care about how fast a car can do it. Equate it to walking/cycling time or at least a bus. Now factor in a future 5 min train frequency compared to a 15 min bus frequency…

Also… Imagine the city has hit 1.5 million people. how long is this 7-8 min car ride now?
I should be clear, I'm not comparing someone commuting from Muttart to Bonnie Doon. I'm using the car travel time as an estimate for how long the train would take on the same alignment - an LRT with signal priority should definitely be able to match a car's speed along this route. That's why the route starts and ends directly beside the station.

It only takes 4 minutes to drive from Muttart to Bonnie Doon when you go down Connor's Road. If you put the LRT down Connor's Road as well, even if you throw another stop in, it's still a reduction from 9-10 mins down to 4-5 mins.

Back