Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

This inspired me to plot the Valley Line against a map of population density. Avoiding Connor's Road (Red) was definitely a big mistake. The chosen alignment (Green) bypasses the high density French Quarter, is way slower and adds a gnarly 90 degree turn that cuts down the lifespan of the track very substantially.
View attachment 522388
I live in bonnie Doon, Strathern station is my closest station, the alignment doesn't “ignore” me.

Your chart doesnt take into consideration the development opportunities nor the 2000 living units that are zoned for Strathern Heights.

Track is replaceable, 90 degree turns take place in other systems. Besides its not the degrees that matter its the turn radius that does.

Lastly. Bonnie Doon (the community) will ultimately be served by not only 3 stops but an additional 1-2 stops on the line that is to travel 82ave.

Excuse my quick mark up on my phone, Please note the full build out, this doesnt include the district plans that will work to increase density on both sides of 82 ave.

IMG_5696.jpeg

Currently my house is 700m from Strathern and 800m from Holyrood a 10 and 12 min (non Adhd) walk respectively. I make it in 8/10 respectively.

Last edited:
I wonder if there was a reason? The red alignment would've cut costs and travel time a little. They could have still had two stop, Holyrood to the southeast then a combined French Quarter/Strathearn to the northwest. Was there pushback from residents? More potential for TOD along the green alignment?
Connor's Road was taken off the table very early on because they didn't want to mess up traffic.

From the city's concept plan from 2010:
> Connors Road – Remaining north of Connors Road in order to target 95 Avenue and avoiding the major commuter route with reversible lanes

Edmonton is going to have to get used to Vancouverites and many others starting to comment on Edmonton-related stuff like transit. It's just part of growing up and becoming a major city. If the current population growth rate holds we might even end up as a bigger city than metro Vancouver (and lots of other places).
Don't disagree, but the one key difference is that, while most of these cities, like Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal or even Calgary, actually get visited and have their transit used by the people commenting, whereas we're getting gnarly comments from people who admittedly have not set foot in Edmonton in year, if ever, and therefore don't have ANY understanding at all of the city, not even from a tourist perspective (which is a very important perspective to consider).

Don't disagree, but the one key difference is that, while most of these cities, like Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal or even Calgary, actually get visited and have their transit used by the people commenting, whereas we're getting gnarly comments from people who admittedly have not set foot in Edmonton in year, if ever, and therefore don't have ANY understanding at all of the city, not even from a tourist perspective (which is a very important perspective to consider).
in 2019 over 6 million people visited Edmonton…

Not saying we don't get visitors, but the specific person he was referring to stated HIMSELF that he has not been to Edmonton in decades.
We also don't get nearly as many visitors as these other cities, and certainly don't get as many to use our transit system, mostly because of the very bad reputation it has.
Its likely because most visitors drive here.

Its likely because most visitors drive here.
That's also another point: they either drive, or come to visit family (who end up driving them around). We get a relatively small number of visitors that deviate from this, mostly for conferences, UofA, the odd one for a concert, etc... but out of these, there are still a lot who will either just use uber/taxi or rent cars, for several reason (the terrible reputation, somewhat undeserved, being one of them).

That's also another point: they either drive, or come to visit family (who end up driving them around). We get a relatively small number of visitors that deviate from this, mostly for conferences, UofA, the odd one for a concert, etc... but out of these, there are still a lot who will either just use uber/taxi or rent cars, for several reason (the terrible reputation, somewhat undeserved, being one of them).
The insane unfunded ets hours needed to just get to basic minimum service standards (that were set by council) may indicate the reputation is indeed deserved.

Its not just reputation. Visitors will probably also be less familiar with our transit system routes and schedules than those who use it regularly here.

So, they may just default to driving, taking a taxi or uber somewhere, even when transit would be a good alternative.

Its not just reputation. Visitors will probably also be less familiar with our transit system routes and schedules than those who use it regularly here.

So, they may just default to driving, taking a taxi or uber somewhere, even when transit would be a good alternative.
Yes, and no. People who go and stay in other Downtowns, for example, do use transit, especially rail, because it is fairly easy to navigate (see Vancouver or Toronto, for example). Busses are a whole different story, and I'll agree with your argument, regarding these.

Another issue for visitors, is that the only major destinations for visitors that the LRT goes to, right now, are DT, Commonwealth and UofA. I definitely expect more visitors to start using it to go to WEM when that line is operational, since it is our main tourist draw.

This inspired me to plot the Valley Line against a map of population density. Avoiding Connor's Road (Red) was definitely a big mistake. The chosen alignment (Green) bypasses the high density French Quarter, is way slower and adds a gnarly 90 degree turn that cuts down the lifespan of the track very substantially.
View attachment 522388

Should do the same for Mill Woods vs the original 510X bus route running 76 St / Mill Woods Rd / 28 Ave via Lakewood Transit Centre. If speed wasn't the priority it would have been the better alignment.

Last edited:

Back