Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

This is a huge issue with major Canadian public transit projects. Remember what happened on Cambie Street in Vancouver with the construction of the Canada Line, which was cut-and-cover in the area instead of being tunneled, so there was massive disruption. If I recall correctly a number of business owners successfully sued. Now we're seeing similar complaints and concerns from businesses along Broadway during the Arbutus SkyTrain extension (which is an interesting hybrid: tunneled most of the way but cut-and-cover at the stations).
Meh, cut and cover is still so much cheaper that it's worth it. It's not like these projects come out of nowhere. By the time a project actually breaks ground, tenants should have had years of notice.

Just key intersections, as I've said, where traffic volume is high and the train crosses traffic lanes in an odd way. At 28 Avenue it cuts across multiple lanes at an angle, so gates are going to be needed there. At 82 Avenue it not only crosses a major east-west artery but does so while simultaneously changing sides from the centre of the traffic lanes to the west side of the road. And the line will cross traffic lanes from the centre to the north side along Stony Plain Road in Glenora (around 139 St).

The City made a HUGE mistake in not elevating the line at 82 Avenue, and that intersection is going to be a problem for years. But as usual the Transportation department and City Council went for an el cheapo approach as if they hadn't learned a thing from the Metro Line Kingsway/NAIT debacle. They saved by keeping the line at grade but we're already seeing accidents in the area and the train isn't even running regular operations. Seems to me crossing gates are a small price to pay after such a major screwup.
Commuting through here everyday has been a nightmare. I've missed connecting busses because of the way they built this. I 100% agree. Definitely should have been grade separated. It's weird because they elevated the entire segment through Argyle and the industrial district there. Which is a much longer elevated segment than they would have needed at 82nd. Maybe they didn't want to elevate because then they might have to build an elevated station at Bonnie Doon? Which would have been quite pricy. Either way this is a big mistake and will be a traffic headache for a long time. It's really a shame because generally speaking transit makes traffic better by getting people out of their cars and onto busses and trains, emptying the roadways. But the way they've built this makes it so that it will make traffic worse. It's even more of a headscratcher when you consider that they elevated a much longer section just a little bit to the south. So tired of the city and everyone for that matter cheaping out on projects in the short run, only for them to have endless problems down the road and end up costing more in the long run than it would have just to build it properly the first time.

Did anyone see any trains running today (April 15)? I crossed the tracks at least 4 times today and don't remember seeing any cars out testing. Wonder if they had to shutdown for more repairs?

Did anyone see any trains running today (April 15)? I crossed the tracks at least 4 times today and don't remember seeing any cars out testing. Wonder if they had to shutdown for more repairs?

It seems the valley line LRT trains 🚆 is doing testings mostly on Weekdays from Monday- Friday.

That’s what I noticed. Last weekend during Easter 🐣 2023 they didn’t either.

^ You would think there would be more of a sense of urgency from TransEd given they’re losing millions every month from forfeited payments

there was work happening on the Tawatina over the weekend. Not sure what they were doing, but there were workers all over the bridge itself and the approch coming off the Muttart Stop.

Commuting through here everyday has been a nightmare. I've missed connecting busses because of the way they built this. I 100% agree. Definitely should have been grade separated. It's weird because they elevated the entire segment through Argyle and the industrial district there. Which is a much longer elevated segment than they would have needed at 82nd. Maybe they didn't want to elevate because then they might have to build an elevated station at Bonnie Doon? Which would have been quite pricy. Either way this is a big mistake and will be a traffic headache for a long time. It's really a shame because generally speaking transit makes traffic better by getting people out of their cars and onto busses and trains, emptying the roadways. But the way they've built this makes it so that it will make traffic worse. It's even more of a headscratcher when you consider that they elevated a much longer section just a little bit to the south. So tired of the city and everyone for that matter cheaping out on projects in the short run, only for them to have endless problems down the road and end up costing more in the long run than it would have just to build it properly the first time.
The only reason they elevated the section in Wagner was because of the two rail lines that the LRT has to cross.

Sounds like another car hit a train today at 83 Street and 76 Ave. From the description on Reddit, they likely ran a red light (turned right where they shouldn't).

More bad news...
Another car ran into an LRV tram this afternoon around 2pm. The LRV was traveling north from the Avonmore stop, the car must have been crossing at the 73ave intersection, and clipped the right front of the tram causing exterior damage, and just about removed the front bumper from the auto.
It wasn't apparent if there was any serious injuries.
I asked a TransEd staff who was taking pictures at the scene what happened and he just said sorry that he couldn't comment.
I snapped a few pics but they're not downloading for me for some reason. I will post them later if I can unless someone other news media beats me to it 😕

Ok, my chrome book wasn't cooperating, but my potato phone is.
DSCN2565~2.JPGDSCN2564.JPGDSCN2561.JPGDSCN2562.JPG

Back