Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

That's completely on the vehicle. I swear to god what is it with these drivers. I've literally driven the route of the Valley Line SE so many times and it's not that difficult to not hit a damn train. Especially that intersection. You need to be very dumb, blind or reckless to hit a train, especially when they start moving more than a few seconds after the light hits red.

Literally fine the absolute living hell out of them. Weed them out.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if City Council decides that further barriers or gates need to be installed, it will delay the opening of the line at least a year. I don't personally think anything needs to be changed other than drivers educated and aware.
I think if it was simply awareness, you wouldn't see people doing 130 in 60 zones with children in their vehicle as was reported the other day. I was walking over to Ritchie Market the other day on 76 Ave and an SUV blew by me coming down the hill doing around 130. That is a 40 zone now as far as I'm aware. I pretty much get tailgated every morning driving my wife to work downtown. No amount of education is going to stop bad drivers from being bad. I think it is more likely that this is just going to be a regular thing that happens and that is why they have the maintenance garage. At least it will keep their body shop and mechanics busy.

I think if it was simply awareness, you wouldn't see people doing 130 in 60 zones with children in their vehicle as was reported the other day. I was walking over to Ritchie Market the other day on 76 Ave and an SUV blew by me coming down the hill doing around 130. That is a 40 zone now as far as I'm aware. I pretty much get tailgated every morning driving my wife to work downtown. No amount of education is going to stop bad drivers from being bad. I think it is more likely that this is just going to be a regular thing that happens and that is why they have the maintenance garage. At least it will keep their body shop and mechanics busy.
I think it's driver entitlement and a lack of enforcement. A good number of people in this city just do not respect the fact that the consequences for some of these things can be dire. And breaking certain traffic laws, like speeding, following too close, rolling stops, not stopping before turning on a red, etc become routine.

The car would have been making an illegal left(West) turn onto 73ave (not east as stated story above).
Anyways, how that driver could not see the LRV plus drive through a red light is beyond me.
They need to suspend drivers licenses, heavy fines & insurance premiums, and yes to JuliallThat's suggestion of having offender's wave big stop signs at these intersections for community service 😉

I saw the trains running last night at Muttart Station not sure what this indicates but they're still testing in spite of the latest crash it would seem

Back