Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Nothing to do with ridership. It’s the percent of the Valley Line West project that’s been completed as of the end of June. And considering that we’re 3 construction seasons in, with only three left, that’s not a good sign.
Wasn’t the first year for underground utilities throughout the line? Pretty sure we’ve only had 2 full seasons of construction……,

Wasn’t the first year for underground utilities throughout the line? Pretty sure we’ve only had 2 full seasons of construction……,
2022-2028 was the timeline (which was already adjusted back from an original 2027 quietly…)

We are about to hit 2025 and are on pace for less than 25% being completed at that point. 3 summers done of FT work out of 6-7 summers in the schedule.

Is there any possibility that we are about to enter a period of exponential growth with regard to rate of construction? 🤔😅😭
I'm unironically curious about this though. All the preliminary roadwork and utility relocation seems to go by so slowly, as well as stuff like building bridges, but when they get to the tracklaying and all, it feels like these projects start to move way faster. Anyone in the construction industry have insight as to how the pace changes over the course of a project?

I'm unironically curious about this though. All the preliminary roadwork and utility relocation seems to go by so slowly, as well as stuff like building bridges, but when they get to the tracklaying and all, it feels like these projects start to move way faster. Anyone in the construction industry have insight as to how the pace changes over the course of a project?
The first (and last) 10-20% typically goes much slower. Productivity and worker density is highest between 30-60% complete.

For very large projects 2-3 percent a month is high, but there's also a discipline based component; when we see large concrete pours we will probably see the number spike in civil, but electrical % per period may peak during the major cable pulls before terminations really get going.

As well underground work with existing utilities requires the right expertise and equipment. Hydro vac daylighting is costly, slow and disruptive; I'm guessing they don't do it 24/7.

There will be a lot of work on the stations during the winter. As well as all the Traction station (Power stations). But I agree this project seems to have a lot of lags. Stoney plain road looks like they just walked away a year ago. Those sections should have been done already.

I would point out that this only includes half of the major 2024 construction season. We won't know how successful construction was this summer until the Q3 report drops and it would not surprise me if there is a jump up into the 26-28% range. While there is only 2 weeks left in Q3 they are nearing completion (or have now completed) on a number of major elements such as elevated guide way installation, SPR bridge and AH bridge.

I would point out that this only includes half of the major 2024 construction season. We won't know how successful construction was this summer until the Q3 report drops and it would not surprise me if there is a jump up into the 26-28% range. While there is only 2 weeks left in Q3 they are nearing completion (or have now completed) on a number of major elements such as elevated guide way installation, SPR bridge and AH bridge.

I'm also not feeling too pessimistic about this. The fact that the major pieces (bridges and guideways) are largely done and seem to have been built without any major deficiencies - at least that we know of so far - is a positive for me.

Back