Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Looks like power sub-stations are being built at 189 Street, 182 Street, Holy Trinity Church (one block away), 94 Avenue, 100 Avenue, 144 Street, 132 Street, and possibly 107 Street.

I wonder if these drivers are getting ticketed for driving in contravention to road signs. Their insurance rates will take into account the at fault claim and violation.

Gotta say, ridership has certainly improved since school started, lots of university and kids in general too. Slightly frustrating that there's weird power delays today and yesterday for both LRT lines, not a great look and introduction to the system.

Automatic sliding doors have also been removed in all shelters in some stations. Not sure if it's system wide but honestly the right move given how easy they are to move (I actually accidentally did this during opening day) and how prone to abuse they are.

Gotta say, ridership has certainly improved since school started, lots of university and kids in general too. Slightly frustrating that there's weird power delays today and yesterday for both LRT lines, not a great look and introduction to the system.

Automatic sliding doors have also been removed in all shelters in some stations. Not sure if it's system wide but honestly the right move given how easy they are to move (I actually accidentally did this during opening day) and how prone to abuse they are.
Uggghhhh....we all saw it coming with those pesky automatic doors......hopefully they didn't just take them of the sliders and "lean" them against the sides of the shelter itself?

It's not too late to change up the design of the west stations. The swing doors at NAIT-Blatchford shelters seem like a better design choice although it would protrude into the already narrow Valley Line platforms if it swung out that way.

It's not too late to change up the design of the west stations. The swing doors at NAIT-Blatchford shelters seem like a better design choice although it would protrude into the already narrow Valley Line platforms if it swung out that way.
Agreed, but to be honest after visiting Blatchford, I prefer the central platform design, 1 set of shelters, 1 set of machines, 1 or 2 platform entrances, and a bit more space to move

That's right, now we'll have 27 stations instead of 13 with the sliding doors beat to shit, burned, cracked and or removed.

I spoke to admin about the doors this summer. They're working on revising the design for VLW. The intent is no more automatic sliding doors on VLSE. I suggested ARC card access for shelters, since I believe the shelters are for customers only.

Seeing the Green Line debacle in Calgary has me grateful that the VLSE & VLW were designed as they are.

I haven't been a fan of the Green Line in the slightest. It's a line that was going to be bad at being a subway, while also being bad at being a tram. I'm glad Edmonton used LRVs for their intended purpose, even if the more suburban sections are slightly worse than a high floor system would be.

I'm also left wondering where we'd be if VLSE has some of the elevated sections that many wanted, like Bonnie Doon. I think it's possible that VLW wouldn't have been approved, which would lead to an unsuccessful VLSE.

It now looks like Calgary won't be getting a subway at all. Even if the Green Line was going to be a much worse version of Edmonton's subway, it was still going to be heavily used by Calgarians.

Here's to hoping that the UCP make good on the airport and regional rail connections in both cities. I think it's fair to say that with no Green Line, Edmonton will have the better system by 2030.

If the UCP wants to redirect their portion of the Green Line funds to regional rail in Calgary, I suppose there is an argument to be made for that.

Of course Edmonton could also benefit from regional rail so there is an argument for that here too.

We are fortunate that despite some issues with the VLSE at least the funding was solid and it is up and running now. The VLW seems to be coming along nicely now too.

Green line will be such a problem for the UCP. They will want to take it over so they can take the credit but this rural caucus doesn't understand good transit at all. What will really happen is they will lose their remaining south Calgary support who had been promised new rapid transit for years. Then they will lose north Calgary support because they will try to turn it into a private fancy fast (i.e. elevated) airport train. The north side will face years of construction and delays. It's better if they had just left the City of Calgary with the risk and understanding to proceed.

I spoke to admin about the doors this summer. They're working on revising the design for VLW. The intent is no more automatic sliding doors on VLSE. I suggested ARC card access for shelters, since I believe the shelters are for customers only.
Ok......wheeewww1 That was a close one...thank Gawd for common sense coming to fruition. Frankly, I'd take Bus-shelter-grade-plastic over fancy slidy doors....heck even cardboard would be a better alternative...

Will they roll out a revised door for VLSE, or leave it as-is with no door?

Back