Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Connors LRT work
dsc_0455-jpg.327559

my own

Taken today June 13, 2021
20210613_103926.jpg
20210613_104008.jpg

It still surprises me that they have chosen not to even put any stairs/ramp at this location. Yes the are building a whole plaza but when you look at this picture and then the next picture, which route is closer (especially in winter) to get to the mall. By the way both pictures were taken from the exact same spot.
20210613_104013.jpg

A couple shots further south down the line.

20210613_104621.jpg20210613_104804.jpg

Taken today June 13, 2021
View attachment 327669View attachment 327670
It still surprises me that they have chosen not to even put any stairs/ramp at this location. Yes the are building a whole plaza but when you look at this picture and then the next picture, which route is closer (especially in winter) to get to the mall. By the way both pictures were taken from the exact same spot.
View attachment 327671
A couple shots further south down the line.

View attachment 327672View attachment 327673
Yeah, it surprises me too. Maybe they're trying to funnel people away from the parking lot? It's not like Bonnie Doon Mall is a high traffic destination (I work there, and it's *dead*), so I don't think it's a valid enough concern to warrant the lack of stairs/ramps. It would be nice I they build a sidewalk and crosswalks leading to that Safeway/M&M entrance, since it's one of the busier ones in the mall.

It looks like there's some kind of right-of-way for pedestrians (the first shot). Perhaps putting curbs at the parking spots can give some kind of walkway. A wooden crossing over the grass could access the multiuse path and LRT station.

So it's all the little things. Well when you let a bunch of little things sit idle for half a year, of course the little things will add up. One tiny example. On 66st between 34 ave and the Grey nuns stop they finished the concrete on the center median which was nice. What I can't figure out is in that center median they brought in dirt to fill that median to grade, but they only did a little over half of the fill and I haven't seen anyone back to finish that bit for at least 2 to 3 weeks. Also for a week or so they went really hard on pouring concrete for curbs in the same general area except for gaps here and there. Now again those little gaps have been left almost abandoned for those same 2 to 3 weeks. This is one of the major trends on this overall valley line project. Finish a percentage of the work, leave that site to go somewhere else along the line and the don't return for months on end. When they finally come back to that area, no supplementary work has been done on that site but they come back to finish a bit more, then maybe leave again, still not completing that part of the project.

Noticed the mosaic art install this afternoon at the Argyll ramp. It's my first time seeing it and I'm definitely liking it. I think it's somewhat understated and flows well, adds a splash of colour.

Northbound (east) lane
2021-06-16 022.JPG2021-06-16 018.JPG2021-06-16 020.JPG

Southbound lane
2021-06-16 026.JPG2021-06-16 027.JPG

Bank stabilization and finishing work on walkway & right turn lane.
2021-06-16 023.JPG2021-06-16 030.JPG2021-06-16 036.JPG2021-06-16 037.JPG

Well I do like the look of the low-floor trains that we got, they look really nice. But, if I were to choose which style of train that the Valley Line should have had I believe that the high floor could have been used with no issue. One of the major features of the low floor trains is that they are able to be loaded from sidewalk levels. The only problem with that is the train doesn't stop wherever it wants to load passengers in. The Valley Line will still be stopping at stops that are very specific and in many ways identical to the high floor line. For example the McKernan Belgravia station is not much difference in complexity then the low-floor stops. If the stations on the Valley Line had to service High floor trains then the ramps perhaps would have been slightly longer but I don't believe that there would have had to be major differences to the design of the train line. One way or another though we have low floor trains for the Valley Line which will hopefully do fine. I do though feel that any further LRT lines that we have in the city should focus on high floor trains and smart design.

On a separate note I noticed that the millbourne stop had its platform station lights on today.

Back