Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Taken today, June 23, 2021
20210623_080118.jpg
From yesterdays pour. They have the forms set for hopefully another pour today.
20210623_081702_HDR.jpg
Looks like most of the parking paving and curbs are done.
20210623_083151_HDR.jpg

Looks like asphalt layer will be added later today.
20210623_082623.jpg

Prepping for hopefully the first layer of asphalt today.

Came across these photos in the City of Edmonton Archives. The description reads "New road to accommodate Bonnie Doon trolley bus is taking shape. Coming off south end of Low Level Bridge and graded east of EYP rail line, is reconstructed Connor's Road".

Connors Road looks similar to this in some areas right now :)
1624503015387.png

1624503446358.png

Last edited:
That's the ski jump over Connors road in the first pic!
The 1930s-40s?
In the 2nd pic, I would have thought that the Whytemud creek would have still been flowing along its original course?
How old are these shots? Very cool.

The description from the archives says 1950 but it does look earlier doesn't it?

The Bonnie Doon bus stop is currently right in front of the mall (which makes fulfilling curbside orders a pain, let me tell you). Looking at the Southeast overview video, it looks like this bus stop is being moved to in front of the LRT stop. I think this makes a lot of sense, because it can be a formal transfer point between buses and trains, instead of train passengers having to go to the mall to get on a bus, and vice versa. Plus, buses won't need to waste time navigating the parking lot. This also explains the reinforced road in front of the stop, and the holes (covered with plywood) that were left in the new sidewalk (they'll be for the trees I'm guessing). If you're wondering, the writing on the plywood in the second picture says "OPEN HOLE"

20210622_193718.jpg
20210622_193712.jpg

LRT Bus Stop.PNG

Who knows, they seem to be doing some concrete work here on the southside but there also seems to be. Parts they start and then go away go for a few weeks to another part of the project. One would think things would start getting finished a whole lot faster considering there is less and less things that actially need completing.

It seems to me some contractors in Edmonton will spend time on some other priority, thinking they'll get back to paving in October. A surprise snowfall will push it back to late October or early November.

It is a mystery how they schedule these things. I suppose any large organization has troubles trying to deal with a large number of projects, probably a very bureaucratic one even more so.

It would probably be better if they focused more on completing the things they started first before going off to do other things.

I don't know if there is any internal standard for how long things left uncompleted, or if there is, if it is followed - that would be interesting to know. Of course, the public is inconvenienced by all the uncompleted projects in progress, but I doubt that is much of a concern for those in the city that handle these things.

We the one project that I'm paying attention to right now is the rehabilitation of 99th Street from 34th Avenue northbound. They began Construction a few weeks ago by removing the sidewalk and the road to do work underground and then also they are improving the width of the sidewalk and of course repaving the road. The reason I mentioned that project is it can be considered comparable to some of the other areas of the L R T Construction. If they can get this construction completed before other paving and concrete work are done on the Valley Line then it will just unfortunately the further Evidence to me that's they have been dragging their feet on the Valley Line where they could have completed and opened up many roadways and sidewalks enough far more timely manner.

Back