Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Everyone knows the real reason the station was elevated to make more room for the parking lot.

But again, part of the area will be dug up in the far future when Mill Creek is daylighted.

There are actually two sections of Mill Creek that are part of the daylighting project - the outfall at Muttart, but also the culverted portion under Argyll. I was referring to the latter:

View attachment 240223View attachment 240224

I doubt any stimulus package will include daylighting works though.
Is there any update on this? It seems to be ready for construction, but stalled because the necessary funding isn't committed yet. Is the city still talking with other levels of government about this?

Everyone knows the real reason the station was elevated to make more room for the parking lot.

But again, part of the area will be dug up in the far future when Mill Creek is daylighted.
Lol nope, it was elevated because that segment of the line needed to clear the CP Rail tracks, but also Argyll Rd and 75 St.

It's strange to me that the nicest, most expensive station on the line is in the middle of an industrial park. I know they had to separate the line by grade but it just is going to be weird seeing this beautiful station surrounded by gas stations and industrial lots. I heard something about some TOD here in the future but I'm assuming that's still gonna be a long time in the future.
The track had to be elevated over two cp rail tracks, 75 street and Argyle road which necessitated having an elevated station.

Is there any update on this? It seems to be ready for construction, but stalled because the necessary funding isn't committed yet. Is the city still talking with other levels of government about this?
No, the city's current priority seems to be the 'Touch the Water' project instead.

Lol nope, it was elevated because that segment of the line needed to clear the CP Rail tracks, but also Argyll Rd and 75 St.
It ended up serving all of these purposes and, to be fair, as much as I think it is a waste to have one of (if not THE ONE) best looking stations in the whole system in an industrial area, it does add a little bit of an urban touch to the surroundings.
I am also sure that, eventually, commercial centres and offices will come to the area.

I would bet on a commercial/office development in the area in the near future, but I don't see residential units popping up here in the next 50 years, at least
1620864599903.png

Maybe some higher-density commercial TOD around Davies Station could look like this business park in South Calgary by Macleod Trail.

Once this station comes online I don't doubt that developers will pay more attention to this area. I know this is still minor but there is the new strip mall a block and a half north of the station on 75st being built. There is a Starbucks, Booster Juice, and A&W slated to move in so far.

On another note, they have begun pouring the new curbs I'm continuing work from 28th Ave heading northward along 66th Street. The traffic lanes heading south have been reduced to one lane from the 32nd Avenue which turns towards grey nuns all the way to 28th Avenue. They have poured about half of the curbs so far and probably tomorrow or the next day should complete the poor of the remaining curbs. It appears that they are continuing the same process they did late last year by closing one lane tearing out the old asphalt and then replacing that one lane before moving on to the next lane.

Once this station comes online I don't doubt that developers will pay more attention to this area. I know this is still minor but there is the new strip mall a block and a half north of the station on 75st being built. There is a Starbucks, Booster Juice, and A&W slated to move in so far.

On another note, they have begun pouring the new curbs I'm continuing work from 28th Ave heading northward along 66th Street. The traffic lanes heading south have been reduced to one lane from the 32nd Avenue which turns towards grey nuns all the way to 28th Avenue. They have poured about half of the curbs so far and probably tomorrow or the next day should complete the poor of the remaining curbs. It appears that they are continuing the same process they did late last year by closing one lane tearing out the old asphalt and then replacing that one lane before moving on to the next lane.
I hope so, the city has put a lot into a fairly grand station here - essentially in the middle of an industrial area now. I think the area around it will develop over time, but it might take some time and effort to get there.

Imagine if a large company/companies built up a sort of "campus" centered around the station, that'd be pretty cool imo.

A car rental company, perhaps? Personally, I wouldn't mind a grocery store there.

To be fair, the area is not suited for residential development even with the school next door. It is a shame that some sort of pedestrian connectivity isn't established between Argyll and Wagner -- maybe that has to wait for the daylighting project.

Imagine if a large company/companies built up a sort of "campus" centered around the station, that'd be pretty cool imo.
Could make sense for a big construction company. Easy LRT access for all your commuting office/admin staff yet still ability to have ample parking for employee/company vehicles and perhaps even a equipment/mod yard of some sort not far either.

Could make sense for a big construction company. Easy LRT access for all your commuting office/admin staff yet still ability to have ample parking for employee/company vehicles and perhaps even a equipment/mod yard of some sort not far either.
If PCL hadn't just semi-recently build their campus over on 99st... maybe they'll need more space eventually

Back