Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Yesterday. The landscaping is progressing nicely around Connors Rd.
2021-05-16 030.JPG
2021-05-16 034.JPG
2021-05-16 035.JPG

A tad more pedestrian crossing...
2021-05-16 080.JPG

Churchill Connector
2021-05-16 092.JPG

Lots of landscaping at the intersection north of Bonnie Doon Centre as I drove past today.
2021-05-17 058.JPG

Hmm, somewhat unfortunate would've liked to see something a little more flashy, maybe white light strips on the cables and pillars to make the iconic outline stand out at night.

Has Edmonton been getting its fair share or is it all about timing?

I noticed in the announcement of Hamilton's $3.4B LRT project last week that the feds are providing 50% of the funding and the province the other 50%. The city isn't paying any.

So I was curious. With the $1.8B Valley Line southeast, Edmonton was the biggest funder at $800M followed by the conservative provincial government at $600M and Harper feds at $400M.
That was in 2014.

A year later, prior to federal election in 2015, Harper announces $1.5B for Calgary's Green Line - or one-third the cost. Calgary also putting in a third and province.

Edmonton got 22% from feds, a third from province and we paid 44%.

Not sure when funding received for Valley Line west but Edmonton improved. I read that for the $2.67B project, we are paying $682M (25.5%), province committed $1.04B (39%) and federal liberals $948B (35.5%).

The Liberals have been covering a lot more of the costs of these transit projects. And now Hamilton gets 50%.

Will we see similar for metro line?

Here is link for Hamilton announcement.

Last edited:
Not sure when funding received for Valley Line west but Edmonton improved. I read that for the $2.67B project, we are paying $682M (25.5%), province committed $1.04B (39%) and federal liberals $948B (35.5%).

The Liberals have been covering a lot more of the costs of these transit projects. And now Hamilton gets 50%.

Will we see similar for metro line?

Here is link for Hamilton announcement.

This will be good news for Hamilton, which will join the network of Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Mississauga in their GO/Metrolinx/Rapid Transit system.

When close to 8 million live in that region compared to 1.3 in edmonton area, that's the big difference. Hamilton isn't huge, but I think this is the provincial government looking at the whole region.

The traffic is so atrocious there they need to keep pumping money into transit.

Hamilton is too small to pay for all this probably.

Hamilton is too small to pay for all this probably.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Hamilton should pay for all of it's $3.4b 14km LRT project that runs through the city.

I just thought it's interesting that Ontario seems to have a different set up where instead of having the costs of their LRT project split in different proportions between three levels of government, which has been the case in Alberta, their funding comes from two levels (and half from the feds) and in the case of Hamilton, nothing from the municipal coffers.

Perhaps they have a different tax structure or tax allocation system there provincially where cities aren't responsible for certain types of projects.

Back