Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

My little walk downtown yesterday May 22, 2021.
20210522_125042.jpg
20210522_125057.jpg
20210522_125556_HDR.jpg
20210522_130136.jpg
20210522_131141_HDR.jpg
20210522_131759.jpg
20210522_131947.jpg
20210522_132224.jpg
20210522_132516.jpg
20210522_132520.jpg
20210522_132611.jpg
20210522_133104.jpg
20210522_133059_HDR.jpg
20210522_133203.jpg
20210522_132947_HDR.jpg

How benignly brilliant (not!) putting the "Chinese Gate" (frame #2 in the photo sequence above) at the back end of of the emergent ramp for Val-line LRT. Has the City collectively lost it "mind"? or is there even any evidence of one? This is not a leftover cake decoration -- little wonder Edmonton has both leadership and follow-ship problems. I would really like to know who the genius behind this decision was.

How benignly brilliant (not!) putting the "Chinese Gate" (frame #2 in the photo sequence above) at the back end of of the emergent ramp for Val-line LRT. Has the City collectively lost it "mind"? or is there even any evidence of one? This is not a leftover cake decoration -- little wonder Edmonton has both leadership and follow-ship problems. I would really like to know who the genius behind this decision was.
I wonder how it'll look once the landscaping is in, but I agree that it'd look great to have the trains going through the gate. Perhaps it's a dimensions issue? In one of the history books that I bought, a man who was involved in the construction of the original LRT stretch talked about how the portal to downtown had to be partly demolished because they built it too far forward and the pantographs couldn't fit. Perhaps they couldn't fit the gate at the front without making it overly big? My personal gripe with this is the yellow grating covering the red portal. I get there's probably a safety consideration involved, but it blocks most of the portal. Hopefully they're not done with it.

Last edited:
The location of the gate welcomes people to Chinatown South, as it is at the eastern entrance to the area. If it were at the opening of the tunnel, it wouldn't make sense really since you'd only see it once you're leaving the area on the LRT.

Bridge and MUP are coming along now. View attachment 322585
I biked this area on the weekend and was really disappointed at the lack of effort to keep the trail system coherent. Basically all 3 ways to cross over this bridge except for climbing up the valley edge to the quarters and back down are blocked. If they don't finish the landscaping on the north side, that'll be another whole season of restricted access. Really hope they speed up finishing the landscaping and paths....

I biked this area on the weekend and was really disappointed at the lack of effort to keep the trail system coherent. Basically all 3 ways to cross over this bridge except for climbing up the valley edge to the quarters and back down are blocked. If they don't finish the landscaping on the north side, that'll be another whole season of restricted access. Really hope they speed up finishing the landscaping and paths....
Sorry to sound like a pessimist but keep hoping. There doest seem to be any rush to get things done. The operative statement from the ones in charge is that "they will be operating and maintaining the line for the next 30 years so they they want to make sure they get it right the first time, so if it takes a bit longer it's understandable." I don't have a problem with getting it right the first time, but I do have an issue with delaying things because of it. They are already behind schedule, they should not delay further. In my line of work we have to produce the best product and it has to be done by a certain time. If it isn't we not only are in big trouble but also we piss off a ton of the general public.

^Thanks for sharing photos!
I was by there today. All i want to add is that the Valley Line is a lovely forest GREEN on the maps.

Edmonton got a green line before Calgary. It's petty. I'm trash. I'm sorry.
(not really)

It really does look great though, a LOT of new landscaping and planting going in. very excited for this thing to get done.

I was by there today. All i want to add is that the Valley Line is a lovely forest GREEN on the maps.
My eyes could be deceiving me, but it also looks like the maps only show the Valley Line itself, and presumably indicate where folks can transfer to the other lines. In my opinion, this makes much more sense than crowding the linear station maps with every line. I was worried that the city would go this route since that's what is currently done with the Capital and Metro lines. At least this way, the current signs will just need to be touched up rather than completely replaced. I wonder if the maps inside the trains will look similar, since the different rolling stock styles (low vs high floor) means that the existing trains can't go on the new line anyways, and vice versa.

Back