Tower 101 | 175m | 50s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

Amazing to me that Edmonton has not done more to keep one of it's best downtown pedestrian streets in better repair.
although we do some things well, repair and maintenance isn’t one of them.

our pedestrian streets, bridges, parks, buildings, infrastructure etc. all have one thing in common and that is their playing second fiddle to new capital expenditures and projects that are perceived as being sexier reputation makers by council as well as administration.

repair and maintenance are not only boring, they lead to the necessity of new and exciting and capital intensive replacement projects if deferred long enough.

the only cure is likely to be setting aside repair and maintenance costs in a reserve fund as part of the initial capital funding for new projects.

^ Toronto manages/maintains 5600 km of roads with almost quadruple the tax base. Edmonton manages 10,000 km of roads. That doesn't help how sprawled Edmonton is.
It's almost like Edmonton can't afford to build any more roadways for vehicles. Pedestrianizing streets for maintenance savings should be a budget, lifestyle, tourism, and aesthetics priority.

IMG_1014.jpeg

I love that sign. I would have kicked in $ to contribute to the cost to print it. I hope there is lots of media attention on this and the media get through to Regency to ask why the site is being left like this and not sold or developed. The public should demand action by the developer and the City. Enough is enough.

Whoever put that sign there is a hero - hope this spurs enough attention to put the pressure on those clowns at Regency.

This lot and its current state make my blood boil. I just hope this site isn't in this same exact state in 10 years time and that a competent developer takes it over and does something special here.

Back