The Quarters Hotel and Residences | 280.1m | 80s | Alldritt Land | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
@bonk Given the animosity generated just going through this process, I cannot fathom the hit their reputation in this city would take if this was a bait-and-switch on their part. They have a lot to lose on that front, since - as far as I can tell - this city is the only one in which they do business.

So I believe their intent is genuine. Their capacity, however, that remains to be seen.

That's true. The front page story says they've been acquiring the lands for half a century, so it's not a quick grab-and-dash whatever happens. However I think all developers oversell in renderings, with spaces looking massive and tons of tiny people enjoying the development. Alldritt never promised a 280 m tower, and as far as I know, never called it that. They just never corrected others who did.

If their plans are a lot less than what's shown, I would expect a few things;
1) a shift in news items away from it being "the definitely 80-storey tower", to something like "up to 80 storeys, though the final height is yet to be confirmed".
2) Alldritt might show an alternative design that's not quite 280 m, then later another, until they have a set of alternatives with a wide range of potential heights with varying public areas.
3) Alldritt could simply begin development and state that after doing some digging, they conclude that a shorter tower is more feasible after all (even if it was so all along). Let the people who had assumed that "maximum of 280 m" means "no less than 280 m", also assume that their dream tower was killed by geography.

Last edited:
These two buildings are coming down:
Capture.PNG

PERMIT_DATE May 23, 2017
PERMIT_NUMBER 246476926-003
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Demolition
ADDRESS 9608 - 101 AVENUE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD BOYLE STREET
JOB_DESCRIPTION To demolish an existing apartment building.
BUILDING_TYPE Apartments (310)
WORK_TYPE (99) Demolition
FLOOR_AREA
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 8,000
ZONING DC2
UNITS_ADDED -20

PERMIT_DATE May 23, 2017
PERMIT_NUMBER 246456791-003
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Demolition
ADDRESS 10110 - 96 STREET NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD BOYLE STREET
JOB_DESCRIPTION To demolish an existing apartment building.
BUILDING_TYPE Apartments (310)
WORK_TYPE (99) Demolition
FLOOR_AREA
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 15,000
ZONING DC2
UNITS_ADDED -6

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 687
Not wasting time.. I like it.
Demo doesn't really equate to construction though. Mezzo did that a while ago, but is just doing sales now. I admit, I'll eat crow when this goes ahead, but I'm still cautiously optimistic about it all. It is simply too hard to quantify the size of Alldritt to know how much partnering and sales they will have to do before the tower is a reality.

Considering Edmonton's demand for both hotel rooms and downtown-centric condominiums I can't imagine that this project will take longer to hit the ground than the effort required to produce construction documents and meet Planning hurdles (10-15 months?). Can anyone imagine a better location for a hotel than next-door adjacency to the Convention Centre, a several-block distance from major social functions (Citadel, Library, Art Gallery, new Alberta Museum, Winspear Centre), a tremendous view of the river valley, and the near-lead project for the revitalized Quarters district? For similar reasons, can anyone imagine a better location for a downtown condo? Add to that river valley parks access and 80-storeys seems piddling. Financing this project should also be a slam-dunk. Hotel tenants are not partners they are operators and I imagine that for this location they are lining up to take advantage. I imagine that Four Seasons is even in the mix of possibles -- as are the new Emirates hotel chains. It would not even surprise me if the complex attracted two hotel operators (like Four Seasons and Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas or Nobu and Caesar's Palace, also in Las Vegas). If anything, the hotel portion might well occupy a larger percentage of space than originally planned. These are exciting times for Edmonton!

Back