The Quarters Hotel and Residences | 280.1m | 80s | Alldritt Land | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
IMG_3098.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_3098.PNG
    IMG_3098.PNG
    709.7 KB · Views: 554
4-5 years construction time. I think the sunset clause is 10 years though, so we might not see anything happen for a while since a lot of the detailed engineering was deferred to the development permit phase. I think that is what has made me quite skeptical of this project - a lot of the detailed utility, engineering, and even geotechnical studies will be deferred to the DP stage, which means that unexpected costs are going to come up given the location of the project. All utility relocation will be on the developer as well. Honestly, I have no idea who is backing Alldritt on this or how much capital they have behind them. They have a ton of shell companies on smaller projects/condos and might/probably have foreign investment backers. The lack of public information on their company is the tough thing for me. At least for Katz, there are estimates in the media as to the size of his wealth, and the value of Rexall was known too. Will be truly interesting to see how this one unfolds and what we end up with.

Here is a link to the plan amendment, rezoning, etc application - http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/view.aspx?cabinet=published_meetings&fileid=623380

More renderings. Congratulations folks!

Terrace 1 Winter copy.jpg
Jasper Ave 2 copy.jpg
Grierson Hill Road 1 Winter copy.jpg
Terrace 2 Winter copy.jpg
Night Skyline 2 copy.jpg

Attachments

• Terrace 1 Winter copy.jpg
    Terrace 1 Winter copy.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 522
  • Jasper Ave 2 copy.jpg
    Jasper Ave 2 copy.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 616
  • Grierson Hill Road 1 Winter copy.jpg
    Grierson Hill Road 1 Winter copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 528
  • Terrace 2 Winter copy.jpg
    Terrace 2 Winter copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 457
  • Night Skyline 2 copy.jpg
    Night Skyline 2 copy.jpg
    924.2 KB · Views: 2,510
I'll eat a chocolate-covered hat if Aldritt builds a 200+ m tower there in the next 10 years. They have a proposal and an approval but I've yet to see any statement of intention to actually build a 280 m building. As far as I know, the statement still stands: "Whether we build up to 80 storeys or smaller, we don’t know yet." The renders look nice and I'd be awed and humbled to see something like that built, but I look at the title image and can imagine what the different vertical sections mean: the bottom ~16 floors, "we'd definitely build something like that." The next section "we might." The next, "Just sketching out some ideas/looks good on the proposal". The top, "don't worry that it doesn't even look like an actual building, it's not." You can literally see the different levels of detail and realism put into the sections at different heights.

I'll also eat a hat if the public space looks half as generously developed as the renders. There's a requirement that the river valley is accessible, and the pro-development side argues that it is currently inaccessible and no one uses it. But they're going to go out of their way and bank accounts to attract the public to their lands with lavishly developed maximum publicly usable space? I don't see why they would do that. Only space and accessibility in front of the business sections makes sense, and the renders do not appear to adequately provide street access to the businesses. I would expect any public walkways to steer people into or past commercial space, and beyond that to discourage "unwanted" public crossing of their property, perhaps with an ugly claustrophobic corridor to fulfil the city's requirements.

I have googled edible hat recipes.

Last edited:
@bonk Given the animosity generated just going through this process, I cannot fathom the hit their reputation in this city would take if this was a bait-and-switch on their part. They have a lot to lose on that front, since - as far as I can tell - this city is the only one in which they do business.

So I believe their intent is genuine. Their capacity, however, that remains to be seen.

Back