The MacLaren | 85.04m | 27s | Edgar | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Snapped some photos of the rest of the facade now that it's revealed.

P5160209.jpg

P5160205.jpgP5160206.jpgP5160207.jpgP5160208.jpgP5160209.jpg

Too bad they couldn't have recreated the original first storey as well. Still, they've done a good job regardless.

I completely agree, and while I'm glad to see the old Buena Vista Building reappear, I have some staunch reservations about its reconstruction. Be warned, serious nitpicking below!

The parapet above the cornice was redone incorrectly. In the reconstruction it is a simple and flat rectangular shape, more akin to this |————————| while it should actually feature a step up around the nameplate, more like this ______|—————|______.

Below the cornice, and above the windows, the building has been stretched vertically. This effect can be seen on the old City Grocery No.2 ghost sign; originally it reached the roofline, but now there’s a banding of regular brickwork above it. However, while not accurate, I can concede this was probably done to conform to a more desirable and spacious floor plate. Likewise with the two smaller windows on the north facade. They were originally located lower and were off cantered from the rest due to there being stairwell there. But probably because of the new floor plate they had to be shifted higher.

The north face is also odd in that the cornice should wrap around to the east side. On the reconstruction it stops short, not even reaching the corner.

As mentioned above, the storefronts are perhaps the biggest issue as they in no way resemble their original appearance. The original Magoon & MacDonald plan only featured two supporting stone columns on each corner of the building, with continuous wood and glass storefronts in-between. However, the reconstruction went with four thick brick ones.

And trust me I know this is all trivial nitpicking, but these kinda small changes, to me anyways, have the unintended affect of throwing of the composition of the original masterfully proportioned design. Regardless, I am thankful that Edgar even tried to save the facade in the first place. I know it would have been painfully easy to just demolish it.

Buena Vista Inaccuracies.jpg

Buena Vista Inacuraccies 2.jpg

@_Citizen_Dane_ Honestly, I'm just happy that they made the effort to reconstruct the façade ( probably to the best of their ability, not gonna lie ;))

Here's the brick , finishing off the West face on tower.
2019-06-12 122.JPG

From 142 street.
2019-06-12 069.JPG

Another ghost sign (hidden from this view) on upper brick face South of main entrance.
2019-06-12 134.JPG

Crap shot warning, but I had forgotten about this corner store sign. Looking good.
2019-06-12 124.JPG

I like the podium level of this project -- but that's it. Feather-light brick floating in space on the tower?; it turns my senses upside down. Plus it seems like a project (again tower) where the designer couldn't make up his mind on material usage so he/she decided to use the entire palette. Geeze -- this is awful! Good for pedestrian who keep their gaze down; horrible for skyward viewers.

I like the podium level of this project -- but that's it. Feather-light brick floating in space on the tower?; it turns my senses upside down. Plus it seems like a project (again tower) where the designer couldn't make up his mind on material usage so he/she decided to use the entire palette. Geeze -- this is awful! Good for pedestrian who keep their gaze down; horrible for skyward viewers.

"Those Edmontonians, they're simple folk. As long as it's got Spandrel they'll keep quiet"

Render from post #114, compared to latest photos, (of which we really don't have any good ones of completed yet), simply shows an approx 20% reduction of brick on West tower and addition of white spandrel. Where did all the nice glazing go ...? Render magic again.
I hold my vote at "I like it" and will wait for completion . This project holds an incredible presence on 124th from near or far.

It's impressive and looks amazing at street level with the tower set back. I really like this one. Congrats to Edgar. Heard lots of "things" during construction - they're not continuing with Clark on the next one, using PCL instead - but this a great addition to the city.

Back