The Augustana | 96m | 30s | Pangman | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I think this is my favorite angle to view this tower from

20201227_104222.jpg

Because of the colour palette or the type of panel or ?
To me it's that it doesn't feel much different than a cheap stucco tower with punched windows, except instead of stucco they used a slightly nicer finish. There's no architectural details or interesting massing that add visual interest. The balconies are simple, the windows are simple, there's little articulation etc. I just don't know what elements there are that add any visual appeal.

To me it's that it doesn't feel much different than a cheap stucco tower with punched windows, except instead of stucco they used a slightly nicer finish. There's no architectural details or interesting massing that add visual interest. The balconies are simple, the windows are simple, there's little articulation etc. I just don't know what elements there are that add any visual appeal.

To me, it looks like a nicer version of Edgewater with the browns and the beiges. But no, there are no architecturally appealing elements of interest.

^^
I agree, a nicer version of Edgewater. I voted "like" for this tower, its not stellar architecture but I think its quite good. Great street presence, massing has interest (to me), there's quality materials in an understated pallet "coffee n' Baileys" like, that I don't mind. It would be really nice if any future tower development in the area to present more courage in color and design pizazz. Warm colors 🏵.
I also feel this tower will age very well, stand the test of time. A few shots over the last couple days,
2020-12-25 001.JPG

2020-12-25 014.JPG2020-12-25 032.JPG2020-12-26 027.JPG2020-12-25 001.JPG

^^^^ Ain't going to win any architectural awards, that's certain. I do like the boldness of the podium however -- one stroke of moderately intense design effort.
I agree. The tower is ok. It's not terrible, it's not over the moon, it's just ok. Which is also ok. Not everything needs to be nominated for an urban design award. The podium, which is the most important part of the building is better than the tower. It will be nice to see these spaces become activated in the coming months.

^^^^ Ain't going to win any architectural awards, that's certain. I do like the boldness of the podium however -- one stroke of moderately intense design effort.

Walked by it this morning. The podium is very nice. My favorite elevation is the east side - I like the darker tone.

One of the biggest things this tower has going for it is location. If 104 street is considered our best downtown street, which I agree, I like 99 avenue second. Nice wide sidewalks and mature trees and lots of points of interest from the historic public school building, a wicked vantage point of the walterdale bridge when crossing 105 street and some neat buildings/houses. Some good restaurants in this area, too. This tower is a nice addition with great proximity to leg grounds.

Back