What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Listening to the council meeting right now (still going!) and North Glenora residents are voicing their displeasure about this development that makes them "anxious and nauseous".
I don't get why people expect to live in a city for decades on end with absolutely nothing changing in their neighbourhood. This isn't the country, you live near things out of your control!

Indeed and the biggest concern from some residents is that it will reduce their property values. When questioned if there is any research on this the resident said it is anecdotal and that you may be able to argue that it might increase the value of his home 🙃

Indeed and the biggest concern from some residents is that it will reduce their property values. When questioned if there is any research on this the resident said it is anecdotal and that you may be able to argue that it might increase the value of his home 🙃
Yeah, one guy said that it would take away his neighbour's "right to garden" since it would "impose" close to her property. It's a little dramatic, isn't it? It's not like we're talking about a tower here.

This project had a crazy public hearing, 6 people speaking in support and 7-8 speaking in opposition. I'd say the main difference between the sides (there were many) was the support having a bigger-picture neighborhood wide and even city wide view on the good things about this project and projects like it vs. the opposition really honing in on which people specifically are going to be affected by this project in a negative way.

Overall, one thing that the opposition said that I do agree with is that this project is a turning point and will change the course of the type of building in North Glenora for many years to come, but unlike them I believe is a good thing. I want to see more old post-war multi family stock get replaced with new, modern and well designed developments and more single family lots on larger streets and corners being converted to multi-family. This is at what the core of a big metropolitan city is, having inner city areas be more dense and have more services than suburban areas, not the other way around (which is how it is right now).

It's going to be hard for many older Edmontonians to come to grips with the fact that our city and our neighborhoods can't and won't stay the same as they knew for most of their life up until this point. Heck, I can put myself in their shoes and see how weird and wrong it must feel for a lot with a house on it to be turned into a multi-unit complex when you've understood for most of your life is that a single family house is the pinnacle of achievement and is what everyone wants and deserves when they can afford it. It's a type of thinking that has ben embedded in generations by governments, companies and trends of the past and has unknowingly lead to the destruction of what being a city means in our North American context.

To me, this project represents what the remedy will be to this issue and, with many more like it being built, will bring more people off of highways, out of their cars, and onto the sidewalk to experience what city living should be for the most part: A personal, active, and engaging experience with other people, not one which constantly isolates you within your own man-made bubble every chance it can get.

P.S.: @MCXavierL @cmd uw I was the teenage community member of North Glenora who spoke in support of the project :)

Last edited:
What was the decision on this if there was one?
The public hearing will resume next Tuesday, since it went on for a while. The opposition phase is done, so when this resumes it'll be at the "Questions for administration" phase.

P.S.: @MCXavierL @cmd uw I was the teenage community member of North Glenora who spoke in support of the project :)

@Platinum107 Awesome! Good for you, especially at your age, advocating for density by actually taking action! I'm sorry I missed you speaking, I only caught a few and couldn't listen further (and didn't see Platinum107 on the list of speakers).

This project seems to be a microcosm of what I find infuriating about the public consultation on projects. It is very easy (for various reasons) for people who already live nearby to voice their displeasure with a project, but the people who would eventually live in the project aren't able to show their support because they don't know they will live there yet. The future residents will likely look at multiple properties in many neighbourhoods, meanwhile the opposing side is only opposing one development. Expecting people to come out in support of multiple projects vs opposing just one gives a significant advantage to the opponents, and is exacerbated by the fact the people in support are likely younger individuals/families vs opponents who are generally more...mature and likely to have free time.

There be perpetual rational for negatively impacting the use and enjoyment of neighbouring properties, but that must only be a part of the conversation for there are often many benefits to the community.

This project had a crazy public hearing, 6 people speaking in support and 7-8 speaking in opposition. I'd say the main difference between the sides (there were many) was the support having a bigger-picture neighborhood wide and even city wide view on the good things about this project and projects like it vs. the opposition really honing in on which people specifically are going to be affected by this project in a negative way.

Overall, one thing that the opposition said that I do agree with is that this project is a turning point and will change the course of the type of building in North Glenora for many years to come, but unlike them I believe is a good thing. I want to see more old post-war multi family stock get replaced with new, modern and well designed developments and more single family lots on larger streets and corners being converted to multi-family. This is at what the core of a big metropolitan city is, having inner city areas be more dense and have more services than suburban areas, not the other way around (which is how it is right now).

It's going to be hard for many older Edmontonians to come to grips with the fact that our city and our neighborhoods can't and won't stay the same as they knew for most of their life up until this point. Heck, I can put myself in their shoes and see how weird and wrong it must feel for a lot with a house on it to be turned into a multi-unit complex when you've understood for most of your life is that a single family house is the pinnacle of achievement and is what everyone wants and deserves when they can afford it. It's a type of thinking that has ben embedded in generations by governments, companies and trends of the past and has unknowingly lead to the destruction of what being a city means in our North American context.

To me, this project represents what the remedy will be to this issue and, with many more like it being built, will bring more people off of highways, out of their cars, and onto the sidewalk to experience what city living should be for the most part: A personal, active, and engaging experience with other people, not one which constantly isolates you within your own man-made bubble every chance it can get.

Good for you for speaking up. We need more of this because we should always be looking at what the next young generation wants their city to become. People often forget that cities are organic and ever evolving. Change is necessary. We should harness our energy towards making sure said changes are an improvement versus trying to neuter change.

Haven't seen any discussion about this in a while, so I decided to take a look on the city website. Turns out, it was approved back in July! Here's what their website says about next steps:

"We hope to begin demolition and subsequent construction in early fall."

Major Development Permit
Reference Id:Job No 385788215-002
Description:To construct a 16 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing building and to demolish the existing two Single Detached Houses.
Plan 2121123 Blk 13 Lot 16
Applicant:HOMESTRETCH DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
Create Date:2021/02/04
Neighbourhood:NORTH GLENORA
Issue Date:2021/07/30
Class Of Permit:Class B
Notification Start Date:2021/08/10
Notification End Date:2021/08/31

They launched a new website today which contains some interesting info about the project. Construction started in November/December, and they plan to complete it this fall. It will be very environmentally friendly, and feature 1, 2, and 3 bedroom suites and townhouses.

Back