Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Love it! And love the many other projects happening in my neighborhood 😍

1607530035207.png

1607529911023.png1607529934807.png1607529957508.png1607529988936.png1607530112515.png

1607529798446.png

Architect is Flechas Architecture:

Just a heads up to everyone, this project is up on the Engaged Edmonton site (https://engaged.edmonton.ca/t5mconnectdc2) for consultation and is getting slammed by neighbours for all the expected reasons.

I have no stake in this project at all, other than thinking it is one of the most promising missing-middle proposals we've seen in the city to date. I would encourage everyone to add a few supportive words to balance out the perspectives on the consultation.

Just a heads up to everyone, this project is up on the Engaged Edmonton site (https://engaged.edmonton.ca/t5mconnectdc2) for consultation and is getting slammed by neighbours for all the expected reasons.

I have no stake in this project at all, other than thinking it is one of the most promising missing-middle proposals we've seen in the city to date. I would encourage everyone to add a few supportive words to balance out the perspectives on the consultation.
Thanks for sharing this, I added a comment voicing my support. We really need to counter those NIMBYers - they're the personification of the angry comments on Global News' Facebook posts.

Thanks for sharing this, I added a comment voicing my support. We really need to counter those NIMBYers - they're the personification of the angry comments on Global News' Facebook posts.

Some of those comments are frustrating. There's some that go super into detail and uses zoning codes to make excuses for why they just don't want more people (and maybe poorer!) living near them.

Here's what I wrote on the page:

"As a young resident of this community, I whole-heartedly support this proposal. It's checks key boxes for me:

-Nicely designed
-Appropriate scale relative to surrounding properties
-Adds new infill density to an inner-city neighborhood
-Very walkable with many services + transit connections within a kilometer radius

I think when it comes to inner-city neighborhoods like ours, it needs to be understood that they go through periods of gradual change over time depending on social and economic shifts in the area or city as a whole. While I agree that, as a whole, the character of our neighborhood should be maintained and that not every street is suitable for this kind of densification, we need to understand that communities like North Glenora and surrounding areas will not stay predominantly single-family and car-oriented as they go through the redevelopment cycle, and that densification and transit-oriented development are inevitable if we want to keep our communities attractive and vibrant places to live. This project is really only a small example of what can be done on these larger thoroughfares through the neighborhood, with the patio homes redevelopment, Candian Manor and new narrow-lot homes being other examples. Concerns about the parking for this property and the proximity to a school are valid, but these issues can be solved or explained with multi-faceted thinking:
-Residents in this building will have nearby bus (and future LRT) connections for travel around the city, reducing the need for a car
-Essential services like schools, grocery, pharmacy, etc. are all in relative walking/biking distance or quickly accessible by bus, reducing the need for a car
-When continued densification happens, we'll see services come even closer and be set up inside the neighborhood, reducing the need for a car

In short, these unknown aspects of densification and new development may seem strange or even frightening to long-time residents, but I would like them to be assured that once new infill projects like this come online we'll start to see the logical and attractive benefits of gradual densification.

Overall, I love that the people developing this project are community residents who have a focus on engagement, environmental stewardship, social connectivity, and overall forward-thinking ideas. I wish them the best in seeing this project through to completion :)"

lolz

' I have serious safety concerns regarding all of the street parking making it more dangerous for young children to walk to school and the increased traffic around the school and playground, not to mention we won't know what type of people will be living in these cramped rental units, won't someone think of the children?'

lol. Love these NIMBYs talking about North Glenora as if it's got some sort of "character" to maintain. This isn't old glenora we're talking about here - these are a bunch of ugly post-war bungalows on a busy intersection.

Special bonus points for the lady who somehow thinks this development is going to drag down property values in the neighbourhood.

One common underlying grudge behind a lot of these comments is the idea that, somehow, our neighborhood was going to become the second Glenora or Crestwood and be completely flipped by new large single-family homes all over the place. While we have seen an alright amount of those being built (~10-12 in the last 10 years), it has certainly not been the "exodus" from these wealthy communities looking for a cheaper place to build like many thought it would be.

The truth is that our neighborhood is never going to be like that, and the reasoning comes from the very fabric of how and when it was built. Glenora is pre-war and has some historic value in it, North Glenora is post-war. Glenora was built with almost no rental stock or multi family, North Glenora was built with a good amount of it and home-owners have existed as long as renters here.

It's going to be a hard pill for many people to swallow (including some who are quite close to me), but North Glenora really has two directions it can go in: Either we accept the incoming densification and new rental/owner projects and focus on ensuring that they are ones of good scale and quality (like T5M Connect is), or we keep having a tantrum over anything new that isn't a single-family home until no one wants to invest in our community and we stagnate and become dilapidated.

Last edited:
I think there's also a fundamental misguidedness amongst these people of what property ownership entitles them to.

Sure, there is a modicum of stability that property owners are entitled to with regard to the neighbourhoods they own property in. However, property ownership does not entitle a person to the rest of the neighbourhood remaining exactly the same as when they bought the property. You buy a piece of land, you don't buy a neighbourhood - or even a neighbourhood character. Cities and neighbourhoods have to evolve. People have to deal with it.

I think there's also a fundamental misguidedness amongst these people of what property ownership entitles them to.

Sure, there is a modicum of stability that property owners are entitled to with regard to the neighbourhoods they own property in. However, property ownership does not entitle a person to the rest of the neighbourhood remaining exactly the same as when they bought the property. You buy a piece of land, you don't buy a neighbourhood - or even a neighbourhood character. Cities and neighbourhoods have to evolve. People have to deal with it.
"Property rights" seems to so often be misinterpreted as the right to control property other than your own.

Last edited:

Back