Stationlands Residential Towers | 90m | 25s | Qualico | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
While I'm a big fan of the Pedway and expanding the system, what exactly would be the rationale for investing in it's expansion to Stationlands? Does Qualico have plans for Toronto PATH-style underground retail for these towers or something?
Seems like if the city were to put a bunch of money into improving Pedway connectivity there'd be a lot of better places to push forward with it first.
I bet EPCOR told Qualico to connect their building to the pedway system in order for them to remain in the building long-term. As the largest tenant in the tower and holder of naming rights, I suspect they have considerable leverage with Qualico.

I think that this is an ideal Community Revitalization Levy Project. First of all the project is expected to be built out in 8-10 years in phases where the first phase begins immediately. Also it is a comprehensive Planned development that includes Condominiums, Assisted Living & Seniors Care, a combination residential + hotel, and two rental + condo residential towers, soft costs included, nearly $1 Billion in development on what has come to be known as Edmonton's North Edge. The project would be a great incentivizer for community redevelopment north of 105th Avenue. And with Qualico's experience I think they could stay one step ahead of Katz's Phase II.
The CRL money they are requesting is earmarked for 105th Ave Bike Lane improvements, outdoor public amenity areas including a plaza and a corridor "mews", a 97th Street "living bridge" connection, and -- and this is where 3/4 of the CRL money would be spent -- an underground pedway connection to the Royal Alberta Museum (one leg) and to Churchill Station, the Library, the Art Gallery, the Citadel, and Winspear, adding vibrancy to the whole area.
View attachment 328005View attachment 328006
Says 1997.

Reference ID:Job No 315143826-006
Description:To construct alterations (adding 1 storey to the shorter tower, changing an Amenity Area to additional Dwellings, and revising the 105 Avenue vehicular site access) to a Multi-unit Housing building in the form of a podium with 2 Towers. The total # of Dwellings is increased to 504 from 485. The Development includes General Retail Store Uses on the main floor, a 3rd floor Indoor Participant Recreation Service Use, expansion of the existing underground parkade, and a pedway connection to the existing EPCOR Tower.
Condo Common Area (Plan 1322468)
Applicant:DIALOG

Reference ID:Job No 315143826-006
Description:To construct alterations (adding 1 storey to the shorter tower, changing an Amenity Area to additional Dwellings, and revising the 105 Avenue vehicular site access) to a Multi-unit Housing building in the form of a podium with 2 Towers. The total # of Dwellings is increased to 504 from 485. The Development includes General Retail Store Uses on the main floor, a 3rd floor Indoor Participant Recreation Service Use, expansion of the existing underground parkade, and a pedway connection to the existing EPCOR Tower.
Condo Common Area (Plan 1322468)
Applicant:DIALOG
Design is relatively the same except for the additional height of the west building.

404912015 8-12-2021 10-10-29 AM.png

I’m having a hard time visualizing where this is. Yes it’s north of Epcor Tower but do these renderings show development directly north of the museum on that empty land? Or is that another phase?

I can't wait until the complete build out of this development is done (in like 2045?). It will be so nice to have downtown and chinatown connected directly with a beautiful development with broad walkable areas, and pedway access too. No longer must we pass under the pigeon bridge! Though i do hope they keep it pigeon friendly. 🤔

It feels like such a tease to know it's theoretically going to be done eventually but maybe not but maybe someday!

I'm curious about how well this will lease up. If Cidex can't fill up The Hat, what makes Qualico so sure this will fair any better? Sure it's close to Ice District, but it's even closer to our social disorder district than The Hat
I believe that the attraction will come through the proximity with the Ice District, pedway connections (especially to the LRT) and the higher likelihood of the region around being redeveloped soon (Ice District phase II). I also believe retail has a better chance of being successful there. Throw in the apparent reno of the ECC, it's chances of success improve drastically.
I also believe that having way more units will probably put their prices a little lower than The Hat, which was, in my opinion, their biggest problem. Paying $1500+ for the smaller units on the Hat was way too much for what they offered and the location (which isn't nearly as walkable as Stationlands, especially considering the pedway connections).
If they can get their prices in the $1300 to $1400 range for their smaller units, I know a lot of people who'd move there from surrounding areas.

^^^^ This will be a less expensive build-out than the Hat (or most other downtown developments for that matter). All of the foundation work is complete; all of the column bases are already in place; and the parking structure already exists. So a good 20 to 25% of the normal building costs are already accounted for -- Qualico could reduce their prices by that much (if they wanted to -- and remember that they may also be taking advantage of the tax holiday advanced by the City). They should be able to offer smaller units at $1,200.00 and still make a profit. They are sitting on the Goose that laid the Golden Eggs (excellent breakfast fare)

^^^^ This will be a less expensive build-out than the Hat (or most other downtown developments for that matter). All of the foundation work is complete; all of the column bases are already in place; and the parking structure already exists. So a good 20 to 25% of the normal building costs are already accounted for -- Qualico could reduce their prices by that much (if they wanted to -- and remember that they may also be taking advantage of the tax holiday advanced by the City). They should be able to offer smaller units at $1,200.00 and still make a profit. They are sitting on the Goose that laid the Golden Eggs (excellent breakfast fare)
Market prices would necessarily put them at or above the $1200, considering that older, non renovated and worse located units in the core are going for $1100 to $1200. But $1300 is attainable and would be a fair, payable price.

Back