Stationlands Residential Towers | 90m | 25s | Qualico | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Updated rendering:

SL1.png

@Daveography I dunno, it's giving me more of an Edgewater Towers vibe honestly, which isn't bad but not spectacular. Anyway, I'm happy that there is going to be some more residential development here, as this area is tougher than most others in the city (believe me, I know).

I hope this succeeds, but man that's a tough area to develop for residential, even with Roger's Place right there.
People were saying the same thing about east village in Calgary before it was developed, looking at that area now it has shown just how viable (with the right planning) developing a “less-attractive” area of town is. Furthermore east village showed that it can be done without displacing marginalized groups of residents that already exist in the area.

People were saying the same thing about east village in Calgary before it was developed, looking at that area now it has shown just how viable (with the right planning) developing a “less-attractive” area of town is. Furthermore east village showed that it can be done without displacing marginalized groups of residents that already exist in the area.

I personally believe in the potential in this area, but there are significant challenges in the area, challenges that are perhaps worse than what Old Stathcona encountered. Eventually something has to give and someone has to be the first one in, and so I guess that's Qualico and good on them for that. This looks like a quality proposal, and if its successful it should spur more development (aside from ID phase2) that will further improve the area and break down perceptions of it

From a planning perspective, any time that an "edge" boundary is pushed, new possibilities open up -- especially if the boundary project has many more people included in its summation -- it is one of the reasons that I rated this project at the highest rung. Other reasons include: 1. creative use at ground floor level of the interstitial space between this project and the office building next to it creating an outdoor mall for retail and hospitality uses, 2. a pedway connection to the office building which then stands a chance of an additional connection across 101 to Ice District Phase II, 3. an expansive pedestrian plaza on 101 street -- a potential for a well-appointed "pocket park" (although the rendering doesn't show it, a wind-block could be created here with landscape material, making the pedestrian mall more amenable to people-friendliness and creating additional interest along 101 street -- something for other developments to emulate), 4. a nice use of contrasting materials that breaks up the horizontal massiveness of the project from an aesthetic standpoint, 5. the potential for a "planted roof" on the pedway, 6. a mix of residential types that include third level townhomes and mid-rise and high-rise apartments, and 7. architecturally, a nice complement to the EPCOR tower in scale, focus and material choice.

@Daveography, I was just thinking the same thing, except this tower has windows/balconies on its black hat. Better.
I really like the midrise and the podium glass. The third level townhomes and the skyway connection to Epcor upped my vote one.
Lovely. Build it now, please.
I voted "like it a lot" because I do :)

I personally believe in the potential in this area, but there are significant challenges in the area, challenges that are perhaps worse than what Old Stathcona encountered. Eventually something has to give and someone has to be the first one in, and so I guess that's Qualico and good on them for that. This looks like a quality proposal, and if its successful it should spur more development (aside from ID phase2) that will further improve the area and break down perceptions of it
But is it 'Approved'? ;)

Back