Stationlands Residential Towers | 90m | 25s | Qualico | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Seems like a no brainer to have it and should have been universally implemented after Iveson made his public voluntarily.

That said, I don’t think lobbying was much of the reason this was sole sourced but the cost saving realities of using the same GC who is building/has built all the existing structures and infrastructure on-site. But I do think a question could be raised about public transparency for exactly the reasons why admin chose to recommend this be sole sourced.
I'm actually more interested in who makes political contributions. I'm not sure making certain people register as lobbyists will accomplish anything more than just keeping a complete list of who meets with councilors and the purpose of the meeting. I would argue almost anyone who meets or talks to a councilor is probably lobbying for something.

In this particular case the argument may be tangential for councilors, if the recommendation came from the administration, but I would also agree there should be a complete list of who meets with senior administration and the purpose of the meeting.

I can understand the reason for the sole source decision in this case to integrate using the same GC, but I agree it probably would have been better to go through a bidding process.

I would also be interested to know the reasons the previous council did not create a lobbyist registry.

Paquette comments on Reddit

6F2B7967-163E-4F3B-A53D-D88CAE0A1354.png
77D0F350-F5D9-447C-A2E0-D2F9F6DD2B88.png

from a mechanics and reporting perspective, if a councilor approached someone in the development industry for a perspective that might be broader than the councilor's own background or expertise, would that individual/corporation need to "register" as a lobbyist before talking to that councilor (or the mayor)?

would that mean any individual or corporation consenting to provide their expertise by participating in a task force need to first register as "a lobbyist"?

if i felt strongly enough regarding an issue - whether it be this one or blatchford or the fate of the coliseum or the remand centre or changes to the zoning bylaw - and wanted to share that with a councilor and that councilor wanted to meet with me as a result, does that make me a lobbyist?

for the record, i'm quite happy with my meetings being recorded and their having taken place being part of the public record whether they took place regarding a project i was involved in or not, it's the "branding" and being placed on a "register" that i have concerns with.

if a community league member met with a councilor in regard to infill policy changes etc., should that individual be registered a lobbyist?
It would in my opinion, make you a lobbyist if you were being paid by an entity to encourage political decisions to said entity’s benefits, most often involving some form of transfer of goods and services.

If you are donating your time and energy for the betterment of the city, then you’d be the PEOPLE’S CHAMP.

It's neat being in the lower level of CN because you can definitely imagine how it used to be the entrance lobby to the train station, almost like an airport. That is also why there is a vehicle ramp down to the lower level for pick-up/drop-off as well, as it was built for the train station use.

It's neat being in the lower level of CN because you can definitely imagine how it used to be the entrance lobby to the train station, almost like an airport. That is also why there is a vehicle ramp down to the lower level for pick-up/drop-off as well, as it was built for the train station use.
As a kid I remember the hustle down there when we went to pick someone up.

Back