Stationlands Residential Towers | 90m | 25s | Qualico | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
As someone famous once said, skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been. I understand we often tend to be very focused on the present and so often business decisions are made on the implicit assumption the future will be similar to the present, which can be a big mistake.

For instance, with climate change, summers in Toronto, which are can be sweltering will become even less pleasant. Winters in currently colder parts of Canada will become much more bearable. Places prone to flooding and sea level rise such as in the lower mainland of BC will get more of it. Real Estate in Richmond - definetly not a good long term investment because of this! Many people will nod their heads to all of this, but I don't think they fully appreciate the impact of this because it is gradual and over time.

Here we will have negative and positive impacts from all of this, but are probably better positioned than most places.

As someone famous once said, skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been. I understand we often tend to be very focused on the present and so often business decisions are made on the implicit assumption the future will be similar to the present, which can be a big mistake.

For instance, with climate change, summers in Toronto, which are can be sweltering will become even less pleasant. Winters in currently colder parts of Canada will become much more bearable. Places prone to flooding and sea level rise such as in the lower mainland of BC will get more of it. Real Estate in Richmond - definetly not a good long term investment because of this! Many people will nod their heads to all of this, but I don't think they fully appreciate the impact of this because it is gradual and over time.

Here we will have negative and positive impacts from all of this, but are probably better positioned than most places.
Nowhere on the planet is secure from climate change and we won’t really know precisely how it will affect the prairies.

One could assume a continued lack of stability in rainfalls as witnessed since about the mid 1990s, but worse.

^^^^ since the 1990s? How about the dust bowl of the dirty thirties?
This'll be different in the sense that the dustbowl was an outlier, whereas the prolonged periods of little to no rainfall we are experiencing more often nowadays will become the norm. And speaking of droughts, wildfires will continue to get larger and burn for longer as well. I'm only 22, yet I remember when it was unusual to see wildfire smoke drifting out here from western AB or BC. Maybe once or twice a season? Now it's common for our air to be full of smoke for weeks at a time.

Regarding winters, my understanding is that they won't become more mild per say, but instead they'll be more volatile. We'll see drastic shifts between +/-5, and -40. This'll be really tough on our infrastructure, and also make navigating roads, sidewalks, and paths more difficult since the snowpacks which previously stayed solid enough to support our weight until March are now melting away in January, re-forming soon after we clear the rights-of-way, melting again, etc.

Here's a good article which describes how climate change could impact different regions of Canada.

"The Canada’s Changing Climate Report suggests the rate of increase of the average mean temperature across the Prairies is greater than it is across the rest of the country, and that’s leading to a threat of more wildfires such as the devastating blaze in Fort McMurray in 2016.

It also notes that changing rain patterns will make droughts “more frequent and more intense” across the southern Prairie region in summers. That could have a big impact on the agricultural industries based there, despite the fact that the growing season itself will likely get longer as a result of fewer days with frost.

“It’s true that there is more arable land but as precipitation patterns change, we’re going to see less precipitation in some of those important growing areas, much longer droughts, more risk of forest fires, greater risk of floods,” said Kai Chan, a professor with the Institute for Resources, Environment and Sustainability at the University of British Columbia, in an interview with the West Block earlier this month.

Flooding, as Chan noted, is also among the risks facing this region for similar reasons as elsewhere, along with rising sea levels. Communities like Richmond and Delta in the Lower Mainland are also forecast to be underwater by 2100.

As well, there could be a risk to some Prairie rivers given many flow from the mountains, which will see less snow and ice along with warmer temperatures. Those glaciers in the western mountains are expected to lose roughly 90 per cent of their 2005 volume as a result of climate change. That could lead to less water in the rivers during the summer months. Not only will that impact the water quality of those rivers but also the potential for using them for hydroelectric power generation.

The same is true for rivers in the B.C. Interior, the Canada’s Changing Climate Report adds. Lower oxygen levels as a result of warming waters have also already been detected in the waters of the Northeast Pacific, the scientists note. Much like in the Atlantic, that will likely have “widespread and detrimental” effects on the marine life in that region, they added.

So to sum up the key possible risks: wildfires, droughts, changes to water supply and quality."

Nowhere on the planet is secure from climate change and we won’t really know precisely how it will affect the prairies.

One could assume a continued lack of stability in rainfalls as witnessed since about the mid 1990s, but worse.
I think the best observation is for places to look at the climate several hundred km to the south and plan for something like that. So we could look at places like Calgary, Montana or maybe even Denver. Different climates yes, but still liveable for us here.
Of course, getting there could involve more variability as we have already seen in recent years.

I think the best observation is for places to look at the climate several hundred km to the south and plan for something like that. So we could look at places like Calgary, Montana or maybe even Denver. Different climates yes, but still liveable for us here.
Of course, getting there could involve more variability as we have already seen in recent years.
I don't entirely disagree, but this is a a little simplistic, environment-wise. Some changes will happen in a larger scale, including risks added to water supply and water/soil quality, considering the shrinking of the glaciers and pollution levels.

I still believe we'll be one of the most liveable places in North America, a hundred years form now, but will still have it harder than Denver, for example.

How one navigates a climate crisis is persistent and sustained capacity to move. This problem will far outlast our civilization and one has to be prepared to know how to forage, hunt, gather water, and relocate when required.

In this worst case scenario. Humans will have to learn to work with an environment that has become tired of working with humans.

People have moved over history as the climate has changed in the past, so I don't doubt they will continue to do so.

While we can't predict all the effects of it, I think it is fairly clear that currently very hot and dry places will likely continue to become hotter and drier and places at sea level or prone to flooding will flood more.

Yes, I get it, we will all be affected, but it is not hard to identify some places that likely will be more hard hit. Why people continue to buy real estate say in Florida at this point in time is a mystery to me. Maybe they will figure out they have to go when the water flows into their houses.

If you wish to hear more of my apocalyptic rants. I can be found on whyte ave on Friday nights with a big sign and a megaphone proclaiming that everyone’s going to hell.
**insert atheist joke where** This cracked me up good. Thanks, I needed the laugh.

On a more serious note, not necessarily related to the project: who owns the land south of the Epcor tower?

has anything ever been proposed there, or are we doomed to have that BE-AUTIFUL gravel lot forever?
it is ugly, especially when you consider it is one of the designated entries to our downtown, but it is, however, at least paved and not gravel. interestingly enough, three of the four corners of that gateway entry are undeveloped although an optimist would say it’s not that long ago that it was all four.

Back