Stantec Tower | 250.84m | 66s | ICE District Prop.

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
When should we see Stantec Tower grow again? It's been a couple months now.

theyve been working on the part that will transfer load from the condo portion of the tower to the base, you can see those 4 big steel rows in the images above. it seems like theyve mostly completed that floor and begun on the next one, unless more similar work is needed i presume we'll start seeing it shoot up again in the next couple weeks.

There has been no specific news announcement, but here is a guess. The floor that they have been stuck on now for nearly two months is supposed to house mechanical equipment. I suspect that wherever the machinery was ordered from suffered a completion and delivery delay -- it is the only thing that makes sense to me. So I have been watching the site cams to see when equipment gets hoisted into place and to date I have not witnessed any such event.

Isn't that the load transfer like Jeffm indicated, which took significant work prior to continuing on??

That by itself, @Das Ponto, would have only taken three to four weeks. Something else is at work here. It is not unusual for equipment deadlines to be exceeded (although a rarity with PCL at the controls) -- since this is a mechanical floor, huge HVAC units need to be hoisted into place. They haven't even begun work on the transfer slab that you refer to; that comes after the equipment is in place. When they start on that, another 3 to 4 weeks will be spent on the transfer floor slab. In summary, it will be quite some time (a month plus) until the next floor level happens.

Yeah, which will be after the first sales period for the condos, and they can make a call whether to push on or trim.

About the current floor on Aug 8:

"As Stantec Tower continues to climb towards the sky, designers and engineers are busy ensuring it will be able to withstand both the elements and its own weight...currently being installed between the office and residential portions of the building, outriggers made possible the advent of supertall skyscrapers in cities like Dubai, Hong Kong, and New York.

Construction on other portions of the building has come to a halt while shipments of the trusses arrive over the next two weeks. They are being assembled in-shop in Quebec, disassembled, shipped to the site, and then ensconced within the concrete above the 29th floor.

Handling these structures is no easy task: every metre of the material weighs 1,000 kilograms—that’s about twice as heavy as a grand piano. Staff are working day and night to get the parts in place efficiently and safely.

Another round of the outriggers will be placed on the top of the Tower, to add extra stability. "

So it's possible the outriggers are taking longer than expected, or there are other delays associated with it, like archited suggested. It does sound like this should have only been a 2-3 week process

Last edited:
IMG_20170928_201819~2.jpg

Enjoy this site. Decided to join. Here's a pic taken last week across from Mercer Building.

Attachments

• IMG_20170928_201819~2.jpg
    IMG_20170928_201819~2.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 307
@Daveography, I just want to say thanks for yours (and others, there are many of you) excellent job of documenting the massive changes going on in this City over the last and over the next few years. So many exciting changes going on all at once and people such as yourself making contributions to keep the rest of us up to speed, who may not have the opportunity, or inside knowledge regarding all of these projects.

Thanks @tele75! Whenever someone finds and shares an old construction photo of a building that we consider a landmark and take its existence for granted, I'm reminded how interesting it really is to document construction today of buildings which too will become landmarks whose existence we take for granted. I hope in 20, 30, 50, maybe even 100 years that someone looks at and shares my photos in the same way.

Oct. 19

PA190118.jpg

PA190121.jpg

PA190124.jpg

PA190128.jpg

PA190129.jpg

PA190141.jpg

PA190142.jpg

Attachments

• PA190118.jpg
    PA190118.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 329