News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Rossdale Centre | 50m | 15s | Five Oaks Inc. | Dub Architects Ltd.

Sure, but I like this space, I'm all for development in Rossdale. It's necessary imo to build a healthy medium to high density neighborhood here. This particular lot however I think is quite nice as green space.
I'm pretty surprised the City hasn't already outright purchased those lots honestly (I am sure they've tried).

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.02.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.02.48 AM.png

Floods are becoming less and less of a "thing". The North Saskatchewan could use a few upstream weirs to "slow the flow" but the Brazeau dam now controls the volume of water to an extent heretofore unknown.

Floods are becoming less and less of a "thing". The North Saskatchewan could use a few upstream weirs to "slow the flow" but the Brazeau dam now controls the volume of water to an extent heretofore unknown.
The second biggest flood was in 86 an only a few feet below that one. Our high water marks come from rain and not spring run off just like Calgary's. Also not sure the dam would help because when the water gets to high they would fully open the dam to save the dam.

Luckily the North Sask in Edmonton has a very high bank (when compared to cities like Calgary and Winnipeg) The majority of the city would remain largely un-harmed. the biggest issue would be low bridges like the aptly named Low-Level and the Walterdale.

Yes, I recall the flood in 1986 and would say we are due for another one like that sooner or later. While most of Edmonton would be fine, due to the high bank, areas close to the river could be flooded.

Unfortunately with climate change the 100 year floods are coming more often now.

I think the province would have to proceed with the Genesee dam project to mitigate flooding in Edmonton. Given the pains site C has caused BC, I don't see a government proceeding with a large dam here.

I think it would be tough to make the argument for the dam from a cost benefit point of view based on the flood maps - there is relatively minimal impact to infrastructure/buildings.

Didn’t realize this thread existed. Quite the plans.

Bringing this over from Miscellaneous:
Noticed tree clearing behind the Rossdale Brewery (below - pictured today). I know a few years ago Gene Dub talked about developing it into a boutique hotel. Has anyone heard any rumblings about this property?

View attachment 214227

Some rumblings as of November 2020 about the Rossdale Brewery:
View attachment 328863

And in January of this year a cancelled application:

Home Improvement Permit
Reference Id:Job No 357785529-002
Description:To construct interior alterations (Removing walls and modifying foundation) and exterior alterations (removing windows and adding door) to a Single Detached House.
Plan Q Blk 15 Lots 12-15
Applicant:DUB ARCHITECTS LTD.
Create Date:2020/03/16
Neighbourhood:ROSSDALE
Approval Date:2021/01/22

Back