Rogers Place | ?m | ?s | Katz Group | HOK

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
EdFtfWLVAAA10ep.jpeg

Found this in the comments to that Twitter post.

Yikes!

Hard to tell if that is the lip that has always been there or not - there is a drone video further back in this thread that shows that part of the roof from a different angle. There aren't many pictures from that exact angle of the roof, but from higher angles, there is definitely part of the right side of that picture that goes underneath the rising piece. If it collapsed that far down, that seems like it would be an extreme failure. I'm inclined to say that the roof has always been that way.

I live across the street, its been there for a long time. I had posted about it on C2E over a year ago. Here's a shot from last year, notice the plaza still under construction. And a close up from the same time, maybe a month or two difference.
43254396462_2c9a22422c_z.jpg

41940122360_eb78776938_b.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^ probably not -- "Act of God" clause in the contract I'm guessing. How severe was the storm?
It was bad. My basement started flooding at my home in the northeast. I was outside slinging mud as the rain came down. There was a small lake forming between the north side of my house and the fence at the property line.

I'm inclined to say that the roof has always been that way.
Agreed. Judging from the comments getting posted to social media last night, seems like the majority of people who were sensationalizing this are simply butt-hurt that Edmonton was chosen to host the Stanley Cup finals.

Teams start arriving in about a week. In the meantime, a mop, bucket, and a fresh coat of paint will solve this.

Last edited:
From what I am able to glean from fa-fa-away, it seems that hail blocked a drainage pipe and water pressure caused two union joints to fail causing the flood damage -- back to Act of God. Reminds me of a joke I heard lately. A CNN agent was interviewing a couple in Arkansas as a tornado warning issued concern of an approaching mega-cyclone. The reporter asked the pair if they were making preparations to evacuate. They answered in unison, "No. We put our faith in God -- He will protect us from the Tornado. Then the reporter asked them, "Who do you think brought on the Tornado in the first place?"

Soo...how exactly is the NHL going to use this space for an "events plaza" during the next few weeks? They going to hand out hard hats and construction gloves and put the players to work on Block BG when they're not on the ice? 🤔 😒 🤷‍♂️

It's going to be a noisy eyesore. Not a good look for our city.

nhl2020bubble.png

Last edited:
^ I disagree, at this stage construction shouldn't be overly noisy, especially with the hoarding at ground level providing a sound and visual barrier. Construction projects are a part of life, especially downtown, and is a sign of prosperity, growth, and renewal.

I mean, have you seen downtown Toronto lately?

Back