News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Riley's 108 Street Redevelopment | 20.2m | 6s | J+S Architect

not a fan of suburban style buildings in the CBD...would be great around the Henday and Terwilliger.

Something along the line of Mercury would work better in this location is my humble opinion.

The parks and the Shift are happening, as well as 2-3 more westrich towers. And hopefully the 106st tower. So it’s not like we won’t have towers. With how much empty land we have, 10 of these still leaves lots of space for towers. Literally across the street is another dead 1 story building. This project will help make that site more desirable to develop.

Just down the block on the other side of Jasper, a six storey apartment was built when Capital Tower was converted from office to residential. I think that looks good there. This proposal actually fits the scale of 108 street better than the Parks, which due to its height is the odd looking one (I love the Park's though). The office buildings on 108 and places like Norquest are quite complimentary to this new apartment.

Edit: actually scale of Park's should fit in ok with the podium and section linking the 2 towers.

Screenshot_20240215-190932_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
We don't have population influxes like Vancouver or Toronto, so development at this height is welcomed as we have, unlike Toronto or Vancouver's, too many empty parking lots where some are noticeably unpaved in the core.
At this stage, connectivity and continuity are just as vital.
I like what I see to the larger degree. The only thing that I see is a weak coordination with color distribution. The color choices are not the issue, but the illustrated form shows the left side doesn't anchor as strong as the right sided portions. They just need a minor tweak and it would be OK. Unless Edmonton's proper consistently reaches, at minimum, 40k annual migrants, don't expected every project to be a tower. We have built roughly 40 towers in the central core since 1999, but, if you view a newly arial shot of the central core, it is sadly still a sea of parking lots that aren't even paved. Some of these lots were already in existence when I first landed on Edmonton in November of 1979; sadly, those lots are still sitting empty.

I’m curious if anyone complaining about this one can explain what makes this a suburb building and not an urban building, aside from no CRU’s.
We need to fill out the emptiness that is our downtown and get people living there if it’s ever going to be a success and this is a great addition to that.

I’m curious if anyone complaining about this one can explain what makes this a suburb building and not an urban building, aside from no CRU’s.
We need to fill out the emptiness that is our downtown and get people living there if it’s ever going to be a success and this is a great addition to that.
It's all the same train of thought as I'm sure Monaco 1&2 received when they were constructed--keep the six story stick builds outside the core and keep the warehouse district for future towers--yet here we are 20 years later with two six story stick builds and nothing vertical nearby aside from the Parks.

I personally like the size, I agree with the idea that we cannot have all towers and this will make this area more desirable, opening the opportunity for more interesting developments.
I think if there were something I'd change is the materials, I know this is only a render and I hope to be positively surprised at the end, but I would've loved to see some brick, something similar to the left part of West Garneau. You just cannot go wrong with brick imo.

1708102199429.png

photo by: @thommyjo

Some of the best cities in the world are 6-10 stories. Small clusters of point towers can concentrate too much development if there isn't enough demand to go around. Edmonton already has tons of vacant lots and the downtown looks like crap as a result. I say bring this one on, and invite 10 more friends just like it!

Some of the best cities in the world are 6-10 stories. Small clusters of point towers can concentrate too much development if there isn't enough demand to go around. Edmonton already has tons of vacant lots and the downtown looks like crap as a result. I say bring this one on, and invite 10 more friends just like it!
My po is not the size but the style and function of this building. As I said swap places with Mercury and bingo.

Reference ID:Job No 500496662-002
Description:To construct a Residential Use building in the form of a 136 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing with Ground Floor Commercial Use (to be confirmed).
Plan B2 Blk 8 Lot 145
10164 - 108 STREET NW
Plan B2 Blk 8 Lot 146
10180 - 108 STREET NW
Plan B2 Blk 8 Lots 143-144
Applicant:J+S ARCHITECT

Exactly, filling in a few of the empty lots with residential like this will make the area much more appealing and likely help lead to more and bigger developments. Not building anything in the hopes of getting something better in the distant future will lead to more of the same.

Back