News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton - Red Deer - Calgary Hyperloop | ?m | ?s | Transpod

What do you think of a Hyperloop between Edmonton and Calgary?

• Total voters
There is a strong bipartisan unconscious bias against none-car projects in this province. It's very much not a progressive/liberal conservative thing. Janis Irwin drives a large, expensive SUV. I've never seen Rachel Notley on the train, but we can all guess how she gets around. Danielle Smith's preferred mode of travel is an SUV with security guards. Nobody in provincial government is extreme enough when it comes to rail transit. I don't believe either party deserves credit.

Like a mirage these things always seem to be 5 or 10 years in the future. All the hype makes me think this is the modern day version of snake oil salesmen.

There is a strong bipartisan unconscious bias against none-car projects in this province. It's very much not a progressive/liberal conservative thing. Janis Irwin drives a large, expensive SUV. I've never seen Rachel Notley on the train, but we can all guess how she gets around. Danielle Smith's preferred mode of travel is an SUV with security guards. Nobody in provincial government is extreme enough when it comes to rail transit. I don't believe either party deserves credit.
Janis Irwin drives a small SUV

Meanwhile, republican state senators in FLORIDA pushing forward bills promoting new brightline (privately owned and operated intercity rail line between Miami and Orlando) expansions that would be partly funded by the state. As someone who’s quite progressive myself, the ANDP’s apparent lack of interest in non-car transportation really baffles me.

Meanwhile, republican state senators in FLORIDA pushing forward bills promoting new brightline (privately owned and operated intercity rail line between Miami and Orlando) expansions that would be partly funded by the state. As someone who’s quite progressive myself, the ANDP’s apparent lack of interest in non-car transportation really baffles me.

Before and during the election Notley (and other partly leaders) was traveling a lot between Edmonton and Calgary, where btw most Albertans live. So what train would Notley take in Alberta?

Back in the 1970's the Alberta government (conservative at the time) bought an airline, but I don't think they or any provincial government after ever did anything to preserve or enhance rail service to communities in Alberta.

This is all left to the Feds and VIA, who to no surprise, seem to focus mostly on central Canada.

Before and during the election Notley (and other partly leaders) was traveling a lot between Edmonton and Calgary, where btw most Albertans live. So what train would Notley take in Alberta?

Back in the 1970's the Alberta government (conservative at the time) bought an airline, but I don't think they or any provincial government after ever did anything to preserve or enhance rail service to communities in Alberta.

This is all left to the Feds and VIA, who to no surprise, seem to focus mostly on central Canada.
But the Provincial Government did before.

" Provincial ownership
In 1920, the lines owned by J.D. McArthur entered financial difficulties following the First World War. Coinciding with the problems faced by the McArthur lines (ED&BC, A&GW, and CCR), both the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (GTPR) and Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) had fallen victim to similar circumstances brought about by the financial strain of the conflict and falling traffic levels. The Dominion government had nationalized the GTPR and CNoR, along with other previously federally owned lines into the Canadian National Railways.

Following the federal example, and in an attempt to preserve rail service to northern and northwestern Alberta, the provincial government leased the ED&BC and CCR in 1920 for five years. In 1921 the government entered into a five-year agreement with the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) to operate the ED&BC and CCR.

In 1920, the provincial government purchased the A&GW outright and chose to operate it separately.[4]"

It's important to remember that the NDP's pocketbook is located deep in the status quo/NIMBY core of central SFH neighborhoods. This is true across Canada. The NDP is not an urbanist party and has rarely shown serious interest in mass transit, density, or city design beyond the protection of union jobs. The ANDP could have used stimulus dollars in 2015 to start building rail but instead invested it in massive highway expansion. I suspect if rail every does get built it will be from the Conservative side as a way for some of their donors to profit, like the private group pushing the Banff/Calgary rail which is made up of major UCP donors.

It's important to remember that the NDP's pocketbook is located deep in the status quo/NIMBY core of central SFH neighborhoods. This is true across Canada. The NDP is not an urbanist party and has rarely shown serious interest in mass transit, density, or city design beyond the protection of union jobs. The ANDP could have used stimulus dollars in 2015 to start building rail but instead invested it in massive highway expansion. I suspect if rail every does get built it will be from the Conservative side as a way for some of their donors to profit, like the private group pushing the Banff/Calgary rail which is made up of major UCP donors.
Astute observation.

Back