News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

I'm not saying that building more nonmarket housing is a bad thing in practice. But let's get our facts straight- the city (Civida) absolutely rents units out, that's the main way it delivers affordable housing...
The City doesn’t own Civida, it’s a separate corporation. The City is the sole shareholder of HomeEd, but even then it doesn’t control it.

Okay, so let's replace the word "city" in my original post with "city-owned housing corporation".... point still stands. Condos are incredibly cheap right now. So cheap, that there are many units for sale today at less than half the cost of a new build affordable housing unit, whether it is operated by HomeEd or someone else (i.e. rented out by them). As another poster said, well below replacement costs.

Okay, so let's replace the word "city" in my original post with "city-owned housing corporation".... point still stands. Condos are incredibly cheap right now. So cheap, that there are many units for sale today at less than half the cost of a new build affordable housing unit, whether it is operated by HomeEd or someone else (i.e. rented out by them). As another poster said, well below replacement costs.
HomeEd has already been purchasing existing condo buildings (not just units) and renting them at 80% of the average market rental rate, so that is already happening (I'm not sure how much they are paying per unit though).

It's semi amusing that the city is building affordable housing apartments at $200k+ per door when they could just buy existing condos going for as low as $60k a door and rent them out...
If they could buy a large block of units at that price in the same building or several adjacent buildings that would make sense, but if the units were scattered all over in different buildings all over with different rules it would become an administrative nightmare. Also, that low cost might be for units in older buildings that need significant maintenance or upgrades. So you might save on the initial purchase but have high condo fees or large special assessments.

the only people calling edmonton's condos a "top investment opportunity" are those with zero understanding of the local context.
My best purchases have been when extreme pessimism surrounds an asset class. There is very little desirable condo stock in Edmonton, and some of the warehouse loft conversions are priced incredibly low per square foot.

This doesn't mean there will be a supply of presales in this city, because purpose built rentals are the way to go when you run the numbers.

Condo towers aren't really great, but I could see better sales with something like a Seattle single staircase style concrete condo. I'd buy that.

Speaks volumes.

---
Indeed, the report reflects this with Edmonton ranking among the most affordable markets for investors seeking to purchase a condo and rent it with an average price of about $193,000. That’s the third lowest average price among the 21 municipalities analysed, trailing only Lethbridge (about $182,000) and Grande Prairie (about $154,000).

That said, Calgary also fared well in the report as an investment market... while the average price of condominium was $309,100.

Perf-over-time-line-cht-6.png

Anecdotally, I'm starting to see more and more Edmonton real estate TikToks on my TikTok fyp. Last year, I almost entirely saw Calgary ones so not too sure if that's an indication of anything, but interesting to see nonetheless.

Was doing some google tourism in the city and had a question. Are there mechanisms to show interest or invest with a builder if there is a particular style of infill house (say a row house, maybe a skinny, etc...) that you would be interested in? like could a group of like minded folks interested in a particular area and building style invest with a builder to locate a property and get it built? It seems like the only route is the builder builds on spec and sells infill through a listing agent, but why not get the ball rolling earlier? is that a thing? Would builders be more keen to invest if they knew they had a few buyers lined up early on or interested in a particular area?

Here is some interesting information on condo sales. With so much of the recent focus here being on SFH, I am surprised condo market share is such a fairly high percentage of the total (ahead of Ottawa and Calgary) and that percentage has actually increased from 2022.

'Condo sales in Calgary, Alta., grew to 22% in the first eight months of 2023, while in Edmonton, Alta., they grew 3% year-over-year.'

'Condo sales in Calgary, Alta., grew to 22% in the first eight months of 2023, while in Edmonton, Alta., they grew 3% year-over-year.'
We get it Ian. But they are growing, as you've posted.

Why do you always seem to knock anything Edmonton when someone mentions Calgary in a post?

Back