News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

Was at the BILD conference in Banff this weekend.

ZONDA Urban had a presentation with some pretty significant findings between Edmonton and Calgary.

Multi-fam condo proposals/projects expected in the next 24 months had ~11100 units in Calgary compared to ~1500 in Edmonton.

Multi-fam rental proposals/projects exepcted in the next 24 months had ~24000 units in Calgary compared to 4500 in Edmonton.

Waiting to see if I can get a copy to share with her nice graphics, or perhaps it will be posted to their site, but the difference was staggering.

Of note, apparently there have been quite the Calgary contingents doing the Toronto circuit and pitching projects to the capital/finance world.
Well why didn’t you say so earlier? If Zonda Urban says so it must be gospel? Probably some YYC centric think tank run by that city’s economic business tub-thumpers that I’m sure is not a Banff and YYC propagandist engine…..lol

Well why didn’t you say so earlier? If Zonda Urban says so it must be gospel? Probably some YYC centric think tank run by that city’s economic business tub-thumpers that I’m sure is not a Banff and YYC propagandist engine…..lol
Zonda is a California based housing analytics company. What in the world garbage are you spewing from your bobcat?

Another great article on YIMBY-ism by Brent Bellamy.

While it has taken a crisis, it seems like a number of cities are now easing up on restrictive zoning, partly in order to get funding from other levels of governments to build more housing.

Yes, there will be voters who want to keep things as they are, but those who can't find affordable housing are becoming increasingly vocal and angry, probably to the point where they can not be ignored longer.

We are fortunate here to still be a relatively affordable place, mostly because most of the last decade the economy here was not that strong and there are not as many restrictions to development here. So we had a surplus of housing rather than a deficit like so many other places. However, that surplus will eventually be drawn down, both by a stronger economy and people from elsewhere looking for affordability.

Zonda is a California based housing analytics company. What in the world garbage are you spewing from your bobcat?
The 4 of you are applauding this guy who blindly accuses me of driving a bobcat? Bigoted against “skid steer” operators? Lol.

Last edited:
^ dude you called a legitimate market research firm a YYC propaganda machine

You're probably one of my fav posters on this website but if you're going to chirp someone about what they're posting, you can't be mad when someone chirps back at you (especially when it was absolutely hilarious)

-Sent from my Bobcat S250

Has anyone extrapolated the math on “Zonda Urban’s rental” #’s? 4500 units for the next couple of years? Ok: the towers around the warehouse park alone will be half of that number + 2 X Falcons’s = 2/3rds or Zonda’s numbers. Just driving around the south side of the Henday alone there must be well over 1500 apartment units under construction. Did they take into account Regency’s 2500+ units alone for Holyrood? See where I’m going with this?

Another NON-construction example. Haynes the CEO of Black Diamond group….shack rental company…has a direct pipeline with Varcoe with the Herald. So guess what? Anytime there is a “camp story” to be written…..surprise surprise….that story ALWAYS includes Black Diamond. But just cause it comes from BD doesn’t make it make it right or even reflect on the general temperature of shack rental companies. Irony is that they are the least significant outfit….but because of the media relationship skews the data. So of course any Free junket weekend warrior getaway with real estate folk in the YYC suburbs of Banff and Canmore are ALWAYS going to be YYC centric….even Ian can’t deny that…..

Last edited:
Has anyone extrapolated the math on “Zonda Urban’s rental” #’s? 4500 units for the next couple of years? Ok: the towers around the warehouse park alone will be half of that number + 2 X Falcons’s = 2/3rds or Zonda’s numbers. Just driving around the south side of the Henday alone there must be well over 1500 apartment units under construction. Did they take into account Regency’s 2500+ units alone for Holyrood? See where I’m going with this?

Another NON-construction example. Haynes the CEO of Black Diamond group….shack rental company…has a direct pipeline with Varcoe with the Herald. So guess what? Anytime there is a “camp story” to be written…..surprise surprise….that story ALWAYS includes Black Diamond. But just cause it comes from BD doesn’t make it make it right or even reflect on the general temperature of shack rental companies. Irony is that they are the least significant outfit….but because of the media relationship skews the data. So of course any Free junket weekend warrior getaway with real estate folk in the YYC suburbs of Banff and Canmore are ALWAYS going to be YYC centric….even Ian can’t deny that…..
Yeah it would be nice to hear how the data was compiled and what constitutes "proposals/projects expected" as defined by Zonda to get to their MF rentals number because it does seem a bit low--I'm assuming it's any project with an approved DP but not anything that is currently under construction? That does slim Edmontons numbers down substantially.

Also--BD is HQ'd in Calgary and is the 3rd biggest player in the camp/shack industry behind Civeo (an American corp HQ'd in Texas) and ATCO (who don't care about their S&L division). Does it not make sense for the Herald to support a home grown success story like BD?

If Edmonton had a company that went from start up with a couple drill camps to a billion dollar market cap in 10 years I'm sure we'd read a lot of articles about them too...

Doubtful. No local business columnists left here.
It was one of the main reasons I cancelled my subscription to the Journal years ago. Ironically, got a subscription to the Globe and Mail after that instead and they actually seem to have a bit more coverage of Edmonton business.

Unfortunately, the Post media business coverage is really just mainly Calgary, my interest is more local and national.

And yet...

Unless there is something not evident here, the purchasing power ranking seems to follow the GDP (growth) forecast, rather than home price or rent / median after tax income, which seems a bit odd to me.

It doesn't change things in general (ie. Vancouver and TO still least affordable), but it would change some of the ranking order.

Yes, very good point - all those high paying corporate jobs have sometime been used as an explanation for such high housing costs there, but given the info here that does not really make sense.

Back