News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 3.39.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 3.39.39 PM.png

A City for All of Us​

“When I came here, I was 18 years old and had little to my name,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “But I was lucky. I wasn’t in just any city. I was in Edmonton.”

On June 16, Mayor Sohi, in front of an audience of 150 land developers, community builders, and city dreamers, shared his journey from a civil servant to city councillor to Member of Parliament, and his aspirations for Edmonton now and into the future.

A City for All of Us​

“When I came here, I was 18 years old and had little to my name,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “But I was lucky. I wasn’t in just any city. I was in Edmonton.”

On June 16, Mayor Sohi, in front of an audience of 150 land developers, community builders, and city dreamers, shared his journey from a civil servant to city councillor to Member of Parliament, and his aspirations for Edmonton now and into the future.

I feel so warm and fuzzy now after hearing this...

Strange…..previous reports put YEG ahead of YYC regarding housing starts. But the guy in this makes it sound like we’re way behind even though he says “ a little behind.”

Strange…..previous reports put YEG ahead of YYC regarding housing starts. But the guy in this makes it sound like we’re way behind even though he says “ a little behind.”

Edmonton may have a bit more starts than Calgary because Calgary's ability to bring new housing to market has traditionally been more difficult. With that being said as an overall market, Calgary has been significantly outperforming Edmonton for the last couple years.

Edmonton Housing Starts higher than Calgary.

May 2022 Edmonton is 1771 and Calgary is 1769. https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/prof...nthly-housing-starts-construction-data-tables

View attachment 409228
Exactly! So which city has more starts? I guess the YYC spin doctor’ing machine keeps on rolling!

Side note: curious reading all the articles of the YYC CBRE Kwong guy…he’s putting articles almost daily on their DT…..about their vacancy rates etc. Yet he was still able to spin a new stat (bums in seats) I believe. How “Edmonton still lags behind.” Besides the obvious decrease in taxes collected, they haven’t made a dent in their DT rates and it sure sounds like they’re getting worried…..

Multifamily dominates Edmonton investment activity

Cap rates compress as investor confidence returns

Peter Mitham
Jun 29, 2022 4:55 PM

Edmonton’s investment market is gathering momentum as the economy reopens post-COVID.

The first quarter of 2022 saw investment transactions increase 19 per cent versus a year ago to $682 million on a volume of 177 transactions, according to new Altus Group data. This was a significant acceleration from growth in all of 2021, when aggregate deal value increased just 2 per cent.

However, the volume of transactions was down 12%, largely due to the surge in transactions at the beginning of 2021 as deals deferred by the pandemic came to completion. The actual number of transactions has held steady for three quarters at 177, give or take a deal.

Multifamily rental properties dominated activity, accounting for the largest segment of sales by value at 39 per cent as well as the strongest growth in the quarter.

Here's who lives in your city's worst heat islands​

A CBC News data analysis shows that immigrants and people with low income are most likely to live in the hottest urban areas. This makes them much more vulnerable to heat waves, with deadly consequences.

Back